The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum for Programming
 LabTalk Forum
 Excel import error: server is busy!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sebbey Posted - 07/23/2012 : 03:26:38 AM
Origin Ver. 8.6.0G
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

Hi Guys,

I'm currently writing a LabTalk script. One part of this script is the import of two excel sheets, therefore I use a code like this:

string fname$ = "\\userfile\Filename.xlsx";
impExcel sheet:=1;//import the sheet1 of ExcelData

string fname$ = "\\userfile\Filename.xls";
impExcel sheet:=1;//import the sheet1 of ExcelData

When I run the code I always get the error message: server is busy!
It also says:
This action can not be performed because the other application is active. Click the "Switch to"-Button in order to switch to the busy program and correct the problem. (the pop-up also shows a retry-button)

If i click on the "switch to"-Button the windows start menu comes up and origin keeps working like it should. If I click the "retry"-button once (sometimes twice or more),
Origin also keeps working like it should and the po-up window dissapears.

So my code works fine, but the running process gets interrupted twice because of this error pop-up. First I thought it could be a Problem of the newer .xlsx file-ending, but since
the error also appears when I import a "normal" .xls-file, this can't be the reason.

Maybe someone can help me with this. I'm not even sure if this Problem is Origin related, could also be a windows thing.

Thank you in advance,
sebbey

p.s.: Maybe I should mention, that the error message was written in German and I had to translate it. So it might not be the exact wording of the original message.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sebbey Posted - 09/13/2012 : 08:19:44 AM
Hi Penn,

thank you for your hint. I saved my Excel files in .xls-format now, since it says in the help file:

impexcel: Import Excel 97-2003 files directly and import Excel 2007 files with COM component.

I guess the COM component was the problem, because it seems to work now. At least I didn't have problems with the last few files I imported.

Thanks again,
sebbey
Penn Posted - 09/13/2012 : 06:05:36 AM
Hi,

I have tried to import the Origin sample file (<EXE folder>\Samples\COM Client\MS Office\ExcelData.xls), but cannot see the problem you mentioned. So, not sure whether it is related to the computer configuration or not. Maybe you can try not to use the Excel COM component to import, like

impExcel excel:=0 sheet:=1;

Hope it helps.

Penn
sebbey Posted - 09/12/2012 : 08:22:07 AM
Does nobody have an idea??
sebbey Posted - 09/05/2012 : 02:39:50 AM
Hi Guys,

I have to pick this topic up again, since I'm still wondering if this popup-window can be avoided.
Here's why:

I wrote a script which imports up to six files into six workbooks of the same project (1 project folder). The script is beeing started by clicking on a toolbar button. After clicking the button and choosing the files to be analysed, the script should run without pausing, in order to let me or my collegues work on some other stuff.

The problem is, that within the script I import some excel-sheets (please see first post), which brings up the "Excel import error: server is busy!". As soon as this error occurs, the script pauses.
So if you're busy doing something else and come back to your desk, your data isn't analysed yet. This kind of kills the whole sense of automation.

The excel data I'm importing is neither complex nor very large. It's basically just a table with some data in. Some of the cells are colored. The interesting thing is, that I tried to simplify the excel sheet as much as I could, didn't help. Then I tried to import a really small, really not complex excel file -> same error.

So I'm starting to think, that it's maybe not a problem caused by the excel file itself. Maybe the problem is caused by origin itself.

I'm afraid I can't send you my project file, but maybe you can try importing an excel sheet into an origin project and recreate this error.

Thank you in advance!
Greetz,
Sebbey
sebbey Posted - 07/24/2012 : 02:44:57 AM
Hi Greg,

you're right, if I wait long enough (about a minute or so), the error disappears and the script keeps running. Since there seems to be no way of avoiding that error (except for reducing the size of my excel file), I'll have to life with that.

Thank you,
sebbey

P.S.: clicking the retry button a couple of times (sometimes clicking once is enough) does make the dialog window disappear faster.
greg Posted - 07/23/2012 : 4:17:46 PM
If you try to open a very large or complex Excel file, or if Excel first needs to do a format conversion, then the time taken may exceed an internal limit (not sure what that limit is) and you will see this error.
Usually just being patient is enough. Eventually the dialog should just go away. In a script situation, I'm not sure if clicking Retry is an option or not.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000