The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum for Programming
 LabTalk Forum
 Smoothing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sebbey Posted - 08/03/2012 : 01:48:16 AM
Origin Ver.: 8.6.0
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

Hi Guys,

I already posted this question some days ago and I wasn't sure if it was seen by anybody since I didn't start a new topic in the forum.
So here I go again:)

To smooth my Contour plots Kathy suggested to me in an earlier answer, that I should convert my XYZ Data to Matrix Data, in order to be able to smooth my plots and extrapolate the Data.
However, the w2m X-Function should only be used if the X/Y Values in the source worksheet are uniformly spaced, which is unfortunately not the case. So I tried to use the plotvm X-function, but I wasn't even able to create any graph with my data.

In the first picture below, you can see how my dataset looks like.
In the second picture you can see the contour plot, I created with this data, using the following code:

//define axes;
wks.col1.type=4;// Make Col1 type X.
wks.col2.type=1;// Make Col2 type Y.
wks.col3.type=6;// Make Col3 type Z.

//draw contour Plot
work -s 1 1 3 100; //mark columns
menu -e 35581; //draw contour plot

What I'm trying to is:
1) Smooth the contour lines, they look too edgy
2) Extrapolate the data. Although the maximum Value for eta(contour lines) is about 0.7, I would like to show Contour lines that go up to about 0.8.
3) I need to implement this graph/data manipulation with a LabTalk script.

Additional Question:
I found out, that its possible to extract the contour lines out of the contour plot. Is it possible to use this extracted data to somehow extrapolate the contour lines.

I hope I explained my problem well enough!
Thank you in Advance,

Sebbey
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
FelixGale Posted - 08/13/2012 : 02:09:13 AM
Is it possible to use this extracted data to somehow extrapolate the contour lines.

sebbey Posted - 08/07/2012 : 10:20:12 AM
Hi,

in case someone is interested in my solution to smooth the contour lines.

First I created a random contour plot which I smoothed manually with the settings I wanted. Afterwards I saved this contour plot as theme, which I later applied to the graphs I created with my LabTalk script. (X-Function: themeApply2g)

It works, although I think there should really be an easier way to smooth the lines of a contour plot.

Anyway, I hope I could help you in case you have a similar problem.

Greetz,
Sebbey
sebbey Posted - 08/06/2012 : 01:58:06 AM
Hi greg,

thanks for your answer. I guess I made a logical mistake there.
But there's still the Problem with smoothing the contour curves by script. Do you have any suggestions for that?

Thank you,
sebbey
greg Posted - 08/03/2012 : 11:13:32 AM
Just a comment:
All of the interpolation which takes place during generation of contour lines is within the XY plane at each Z level value. From your graph, it appears that you do not have any Z values greater than about 7.16 so even if you extend your Z levels higher Origin would never find any data with which to generate a contour.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000