The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Custom Legend Symbol

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
amistadorio Posted - 01/25/2012 : 4:16:19 PM
Origin 8.5 SR01

Hi, I would like to customize the symbol appearing in my legend, as most of time I need it to be different from that actually used in the plot.
E.g. I have MANY points, so that I can choose the symbol 1pt large that my scattered points still form a curve. But 1pt is too small for the legend. How can change the size of the point of the legend or, even better, change the SYMBOL? I would like to replace the point with a filled rectangle, just as the one used for bar plots.

I suppose I should use script, but I don't know where to look... plzm help me! tnx! :)
Suzan
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ezeitler Posted - 11/11/2013 : 11:32:39 AM
Ok, in case anyone else is still searching, I figured it out. In regards to the previous posts, here's the best info I found from origin. http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/origin/en/UserGuide/Manual_Control_of_the_Graph_Legend.html. As stated, you want to highlight the legend, right click on the legend and click on properties. There is a field in that GUI there you can edit teh properties of the displayed symbol as well as the text. The section beginning with \l will edit the symbol. The % section edits the label. There are lots of details in the link above in this post. In order to make the symbol bigger, just change \l(1) to \l(1,s:p50). That will make the symbol be 50% of the size of the legend box for that part of the figure, so it will also dynamically change when you change the size of the legend. You can also specify the size in points directly I think by typing in something like \l(1,s:5) which should make your symbol size 5 point.
JoseMGuil Posted - 02/06/2012 : 02:57:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by amistadorio

Did you manage to edit the legend?

I didn't...

I didn't...

Hello Amistadorio,

Neither could I. I was unable to find the place to introduce the formula dealing with the control of symbol features in legends after trying to follow your advice. I though it may be a problem of my Origin version (8.0 SR6). So I decided to wait for your solution.

In conclusion, we are as at the beginning.
JMG
amistadorio Posted - 02/04/2012 : 11:53:01 AM

I didn't...
amistadorio Posted - 01/26/2012 : 06:56:51 AM
Hi, JMG,

very good, we have the solution because I know where to put the formula!

Create a new legend, right click -> properties.
u will be shown a property box with some properties customizable from GUI (like shading and so) and a textbox. The firs one is where to put your syntax.

I will check if it works at once!

Thanks !
JoseMGuil Posted - 01/26/2012 : 04:09:20 AM
Hello Amistadorio,
I am trying to do the same, but unsuccessfully. I have found in Origin's Help, “Manual Control of the Graph Legend” / “Manually forming the legend's data plot symbols” the following:

“Using the following syntax, it is possible to construct a graph legend that displays plot symbols that are completely independent of the symbols used in the data plot:

\L(O(SymEdgeColor,Sym,Fill,Size,ColorLn,LineStyle,Gap,LnWidth,SymFillColor, EdgeThickness))”

So it is supposed that one can modify all those features of the symbols in the legends. The question is: where and how should we incorporate that “formula”?
JMG

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000