The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Modelling / Fitting equation to data

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
twj84 Posted - 05/01/2012 : 01:51:05 AM
Origin Ver. 8.6
Operating System: Win 7

Hello there

I've 4 columns of data. The first 3 columns are the input parameters and the last last column is the output value obtained for each unique combination of the 3 input parameter. Is it possible to use origin to obtain an equation to characterize their relationship using the data I have
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hideo Fujii Posted - 05/04/2012 : 5:17:03 PM
Hi twj84,

I think when you said 3 input parameters, you are talking 3 independent variables over the one dependent variable (which you called "output").

Origin's non-linear curve fitter(NLFit) can fit your above data with a model (=fitting function) by estimating the parameters of the function. NLFit allows you to have multiple independent variables, and you can define your user-defined function, if the desired built-in function couldn't be found.

After all, Origin can find the best combination of parameters to explain your data, but it won't give you the model function itself.
(Origin can also compare two model functions to tell which gives better fitting after their fitting sessions.)

You can try the following tutorial, if you have never created your own user-defined function with multiple independent variables:

http://qhwiki.originlab.com/~originla/howto/index.php?title=Tutorial:Fitting_with_Multiple_Independent_Variables

I hope I didn't misunderstand what you wrote.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000