The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Import with delimiter (Tab+Space)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
krlasski Posted - 06/28/2012 : 09:54:13 AM
Hello,

I'm currently working with several ascii files that need to be imported into Origin 8.6 (Win7 x64). These files contain columns that are separated by Tab characters (no problems so far with the Multi-file import). The only problem is that there are also some text columns inbetween which contain space characters, which Origin recognizes as field separators as well and consequently messes up the column assignment (there only exists the choice "Tab/Space" field separator, not "Tab" alone!).

Is there any way of telling Origin that I *only* want Tab to be treated as a field separation character?

What I am doing right now is to replace all space characters by underscore characters by means of a text editor and the search/replace function. That works, but actually needs an extra effort, and I feel that this cannot really be the solution, especially if the files change a lot and thus need to be imported again and again.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers
Kristian
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
krlasski Posted - 06/29/2012 : 02:53:38 AM
Dear Hideo,

thanks for your help! That does the trick.

I think I was trapped by a bad translation in the German version of Origin 8.6, which looks like that:

I would not have associated the term "Register" with "tabulator", especially as the option to the left of it is labelled "Tab/Leerzeichen" ("Tab" for "Tabulator"). Maybe the translation is technically correct, but it is, as far as I can tell, something that was used in the context of mechanical typewriters (or at least at this time). Putting the term "Tabulator" here would IMHO serve the purpose better.

Thanks again for your help!

Best regards
Kristian
Hideo Fujii Posted - 06/28/2012 : 4:53:48 PM
Hi Kristian,

Have you tried Import Wizard? In the "Data Column" step (in the screenshot below), you can select specific delimiters to be applied to separate the column. In this sample, 1, 2, 3 are separated by TAB, and a, b, c, ab, cd are separated by SPACE.

Does it work for your data?

--Hideo Fujii
Originlab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000