The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Standard Error in Linear Fit Parameters

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
coreyjkelly Posted - 07/11/2012 : 10:25:39 PM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.6 (32-bit) Srl b97
Operating System: XP Home SP3

This is more of a statistics question than an Origin question, but since I'm performing the analysis in Origin, this seemed like a reasonable place to ask about it.
I'm performing a linear fit on a set of values with associated standard errors. The value in which I'm ultimately interested is the slope of the fit line. I've sorted out how to perform the fit using the error values as weights, but I'm currently very confused about the error in the slope value. Is the standard error in the fit parameters related to the error in the initial data? My statistics knowledge is REALLY lacking, which is likely the source of my confusion.
The specific problem is that the standard error value Origin is giving me seems much too small. The dataset I'm fitting only has three points, and they have relatively large errors (I'm working on better data..) and the upper and lower confidence bounds for the slope are large (as expected) but the standard error is small.
I'm getting a slope value of 8000 with 95% UCL of 12000 and 95% LCL of 4000. The standard error is 300. Is the standard error a poor estimate of the uncertainty in the slope value in this case?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sam Fang Posted - 07/13/2012 : 04:20:23 AM
You can use fitted parameter's standard error to estimate the error of the fitted slope.

And you can use the adjusted r-square value to measure the goodness of fit.

Sam
OriginLab Technical Services
coreyjkelly Posted - 07/13/2012 : 02:33:52 AM
Thanks for the clarification! As I said, I'm a bit helpless when it comes to stats. If possible, could you suggest a measure of error in the slope which does reflect the error in the initial data set?
Thanks!
Sam Fang Posted - 07/12/2012 : 10:49:33 PM
The standard errors for parameters in the fitted result are not related to the error in the initial data, and they are esitimated from current fitted parameters. They can be used to estimate the precision of the fitted parameters.

UCL and LCL can be calculated from Standard Error:

LCL=P-t(0.025,n-p)*s
UCL=P+t(0.025,n-p)*s

where P is the fitted parameter, s is the standard error for the parameter, n is number of points, p is number of parameters. t is the Student's t distribution.

The large difference between standard error and confiderce interval is due to the fact that you only used three points to fit.
t(0.025,3-2)=12.7;

which means confidence interval half width is 12.7 times as large as the standard error.

However if you use more points to fit, e.g. 100 points:
t(0.025,100-2)=1.98;

Now confidence interval half width is only twice as large as the standard error.

For more information, see the page:
http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/UserGuide/Linear_Regression_Results.html#Confidence_Intervals

Sam
OriginLab Technical Services

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000