The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Fitting data with inverse function

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
J.F.P. Posted - 07/18/2012 : 04:14:18 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.5.1G SR2
Operating System: winxp

Hallo,

usually I fit my data with the following function what works well:

y = (4/3)*(x/2*1E-9)^(1.5)*E*sqrt(R)*1E6

Now I fitted with the inverse function but don't get same value for fitting parameter E (R is fixed):

y = (3/4*x*1e-6/E/sqrt(R))^(2/3)*1e9*2

Shouldn't the two fits give equal values for E?

Thanks for any help!

Best regards
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sam Fang Posted - 09/20/2012 : 07:10:21 AM
It may be similar to the issue in this quick help:
http://wiki.originlab.com/~originla/howto/index.php?title=QuickHelp:Why_are_fitted_parameters_different_when_fitting_data_are_transformed

Anyway we can look into it further when we see your project.

Sam
OriginLab Technical Services
J.F.P. Posted - 09/18/2012 : 06:53:04 AM
Hallo,

as I understand this is inherent to least square fitting procedure. But since there is just one "real" value of E what is an appropriate fitting procedure to determine it? Does it make sens to fit data first by a polynomial and this polynomial with the actual fit function? I tested this procedure and obtained very similar values of E. But then the question arises if the x-y or y-x data is fitted with a polynomial...

Thanks for any help and comments!

Best regards
J.F.P.
J.F.P. Posted - 07/20/2012 : 03:37:00 AM
Hi Easwar,

thanks for your help.
I will send my data to tech support, E is not within the parameter values.

Best regards
easwar Posted - 07/18/2012 : 1:21:37 PM
Hi J.F.P,

Sorry, you did mention that you had fixed R. When I do that with some test data, the value of E for the two cases is very close, and within the parameter error values.

If you see significant differences, send your OPJ to tech support so we can look.

Easwar
OriginLab
easwar Posted - 07/18/2012 : 1:16:03 PM
Hi J.F.P.,

Is R supposed to be a constant? Or it is a parameter as well?

If R is also a parameter, then the function is over-parametrized.
The term
E*sqrt(R)
could be replaced with just one parameter, as this is just product of two parameters. In other words, the iterative procedure cannot find an optimal value for E and R, because if one changes E to any value, one can come up with a corresponding R value to give the same result for the product term, so there is no unique solution.

In the fitter, this can be seen from the Dependency value, which will be very close to, or equal to, 1.

This may be the reason your inverse function does not yield the same result.

Also, when fitting with either, are you assigning the "x" and the "y" alternately?

When I tried your functions with some test data, I got the same parameters, but the errors were very large (and in one case missing values), as the iterative procedure cannot converge due to the over-parameterization.

If R is not a parameter, but a constant, send your data and the value for R, to tech support, using the link on the top right of this page.

Easwar
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000