The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 extract data from bubble plot graph

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ifsmithy Posted - 07/26/2012 : 2:11:13 PM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.5
Operating System: 7

Hi - I was hoping for a way to select data from a bubble plot (so an x, y and a y plot) by visually selecting data points on the graph. I would then need to be able to export this data into a new worksheet.
Any help would be appreciated!
cheers
Ian
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ifsmithy Posted - 07/27/2012 : 10:16:36 PM
Hi Hideo - I think the cluster gadget is actually doing what I need it to do!

If i use the cluster gadget to highlight the data - then go back to the worksheet query function I can then use the function "isMasked(i,B)==1" like you suggested earlier to extract the highlighted data including bubble size info...so the x, y, y data!

Thanks very much for your help!
Hideo Fujii Posted - 07/27/2012 : 11:20:57 AM
Hi Ian,

Oh, I'm sorry, yes, the Regional Masking tool is designed for the plot which is Y=f(X)
where X is sorted. The tool masks the region of the X range you manipulated.

Well, for the purpose of random data points, Origin provides "Cluster Gadget" ("Gadgets: Cluster" menu).
Unfortunately it is only available in OriginPro 8.5.1, or later. If you don't have it, you can try
either the 8.6 Evaluation version(here) for now, or your colleague's machine if she/he has.

In this gadget, you can use mask the data points in a rectangle or circular region.
(Or, you can copy the XY coordinates of points, but unfortunately currently you cannot
get the bubble size data. I will report this limitation to our developers.)

I hope you have a chance to try this gadget.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
ifsmithy Posted - 07/26/2012 : 8:47:56 PM
Hi Hideo - I just bought version of 8.6 - the preferences pane does now work.

Your idea of using the regional mask tool nearly works. I can export data that is highlighted. However the problem is when i try to highlight a small specific region of the graph a much larger and what appears to be random data is selected?

I've uploaded an image of what I am talking about

interestingly - when playing with the data. If I sort the worksheet via 'ascending' based on the first column and then i try and select data using the mask took all of the data underneath what is selected is highlighted

Hideo Fujii Posted - 07/26/2012 : 5:27:08 PM
Hi Ian,

Have you right-clicked on the gray area in the Data Info? If you did so, and still cannot
see the Preferences flyout, maybe because of the version?? I know at least 8.5 or 8.6
works in that way....

Anyway, if you want to select data in a region, one possible way is to use the Regional
Masking tool. See the screenshot below. You can mask data points by dragging the mouse
diagonally. After masking, you can extract the data using the Worksheet Query tool.

Here, I have used the condition "isMasked(i,B)==1" to select the masked data.
If you want, you can add extra condition like for the size of the bubble (col(C) in my sample).

Does it work for you?

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
ifsmithy Posted - 07/26/2012 : 4:31:28 PM
Hi Hideo - thanks for the help.

When I start the data reader and right click i do not get a preferences flyout?

Also - my data is plotting thousands of points. I would like to be able to select tens if not a hundred or so bubble points at one time and have them copied into a worksheet. Ideally I would do this by dragging a box across a group of points to highlight them - I do not need to be able to select multiple points that are spread across the whole screen - the data is grouped together.

Many Thanks again!

Ian
Hideo Fujii Posted - 07/26/2012 : 4:13:08 PM
Hi Ian,

You can customize the Data Reader tool to show the bubble size data in addition to the
default XY coordinates. Please see the screenshot below. Once you start the
Data Reader, right-click the grey area of the Data Info box, and select "Oreferences"
flyout. Now you can select and add the data size dataset to the right panel of the tool
("Data Group Rows" tab).
Using the Data Selector, you can click a bubble, or use the arrow keys to move points.
Then, you can copy-and-paste the data in the Data Info table to your worksheet.

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000