The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to deal with all these Origin Crashes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joe_heaven Posted - 08/06/2012 : 04:29:39 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.6.0G Pro x64 SR3 b99
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate (DE)

Dear Origin Guys,

I'm a solid Origin user since more than 10 years now, I accepted the illogical structure that occurs at every corner of the software, I learned how to tweak the scripts that they worked as they should. I invested so much time to be able to do what I want, constantly being frustrated but at least got the results that I wanted.
But one thing was OK so far: The overall stability.

That changed with version 8.6 dramatically. Not only myself but all other colleagues who use Origin regularly face the same problem. Origin crashes without any good reason, loses data and the worst thing: It won't start again!

There are two symptoms that we observed after those crashes: You can see the splash screen, but origin never really starts completely or you simply see nothing (not even splash screen). In both cases you have to kill the process manually in the task manager.

We finally found at least the reason why Origin does not start again: It is due to a faulty ORIGIN.INT file. Even as an administrator you are not able to open or delete the ORIGIN.INI after a crash.

Our solution for the moment is the following:
1) Create a fresh Origin Application Folder (where ORIGIN.INI is located)
2) Tune everything within Origin as you like, install Add-ons and such
3) Copy this folder now to a different location
4) Work with Origin until it crashes
5) Rename the now unusable application folder (you can't delete it because of ORIGIN.INI)
6) Copy the saved application folder to be the active one
7) Goto 4)

This is a real pain. Again let me stress that this only makes you able to work again, your data is still most likely gone.

Are there any ideas or hints from your side how this could be improved soon?

Best regards,
Jochen
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
snowli Posted - 08/07/2012 : 12:06:19 PM
Hi Jochen,

Our developer said maybe using a shared UFF with others on network may be the issue.

So could you check if you could set the UFF on local PC and if there is still crashes?

BTW, If you wants to share files with other users. There is a Group folder sharing feature in Origin.

For a group of Origin users, some can set themselves as group leaders and some can set themselves as group memebers. Group leaders can publish file and group member will receive it and use it.

You can search Group Folder Sharing in our Origin help.

Look at these topics:
Set Group Folder Location Dialog
Group Folder Manager

BTW, if Origin crashes, there will be a autosaved file under Autosave path. You can check if there are files there.

Thanks, Snow
snowli Posted - 08/07/2012 : 10:33:09 AM
Hi Jochen,

Thanks for the reply. I asked our developer to look at it. Some more questions:

1. Is the UFF writable and also is it only used by you?
2. Could you select Tools: Options menu. In Options dialog, activate Open/Close tab. Uncheck Autosave project every 12 minute(s) checkbox.

By default, autosave will save the opj you are working on to same path parallel to UFF. U can activate System Path tab to see Autosave path. I am wondering if the crash is caused by that so could you uncheck it and then try with big dataset to see if crash still happens.
3. If possible, could you change User Files Folder to a writable path on local PC and check if the crash still happens?

BTW, I forgot to mention yesterday that if u will run "debug_log 2" to turn logging on. After testing, could you run "debug_log 0" to turn logging off. Otherwise, it will slow your Origin down.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks, Snow
joe_heaven Posted - 08/07/2012 : 01:47:51 AM
Dear Snow Li,

I will also contact you directly, but I wanted to share some answers also in the forum.

1. What add-ons are you referring to. Before you install those add-ons, are there any crashes? Is it crashing on all Origins with Add-on Modules installed? If it's add-on related crash, basically What add-ons and adjustment does he make, so we can duplicate the problem.
We haven't released any add-on for 8.6, so maybe it's a compatibility issue between old Add-on and Origin 8.6.

Maybe Add-On was not the correct term here. I'm using two or three user buttons that just execute small Labtalk scripts. My colleague for example does not use them, so it is not caused by that.

2. When does Origin crash?

It seems to be connected with larger data sets. Unfortunately the crashes are not reproducable, so I'm not able to send you a file to show it. One observation was that the crashes happen after working quite a while.

3. Is there a project that leads to a crash or it's general to any Origin session.

No specific project file. Sorry. I know it would be much easier to have an example.

4. Send the faulty Origin.ini and which part you think are fault. During installation, Origin.ini is installed. The first time you run Origin, you are asked to specify User Files Folder (UFF) and Origin.ini and some other files are copied from Origin EXE foldre to UFF. and from then on, Origin.ini from UFF is used instead of Origin EXE.

I can't. After these crashes happen I'm not able to open/view/copy/delete the ORIGIN.INI. I assume its not the content of the file. The UFF resides on a network share that uses a drive letter. But I used this configuration for years now and everything fine, until it crashes. After the crash you cannot access the file. The rest within the UFF is OK, it's just ORIGIN.INI.

5. If you could stably reproduce the crash, could you generate a log file for us.
1) Choose Window: Script Window menu in Origin.
2) Run the command: Debug_log 2 <ENTER>
--> It will turn on debugging and also tell u where the log file will be generated. Write the path down.
3) Restart Origin and do the steps that can cause crash.
4) Get the ORIGIN_LOG.TXT from the path you wrote down and make sure it's dated correctly. Email the file to us.

I would be happy to provide you a single file, but I have no such example.

It's too later to contact you today. Is it OK that you email tech@originlab.com your contact info. so we could call you talk more about it.

I'm sending you a direct message later this day.

Best regards,
Jochen
snowli Posted - 08/06/2012 : 5:04:55 PM
Hi Jochen,

Sorry for the crashes you and your colleagues met. Our developer asked the following questions.

1. What add-ons are you referring to. Before you install those add-ons, are there any crashes? Is it crashing on all Origins with Add-on Modules installed? If it's add-on related crash, basically What add-ons and adjustment does he make, so we can duplicate the problem.
We haven't released any add-on for 8.6, so maybe it's a compatibility issue between old Add-on and Origin 8.6.

2. When does Origin crash?

3. Is there a project that leads to a crash or it's general to any Origin session.

4. Send the faulty Origin.ini and which part you think are fault. During installation, Origin.ini is installed. The first time you run Origin, you are asked to specify User Files Folder (UFF) and Origin.ini and some other files are copied from Origin EXE foldre to UFF. and from then on, Origin.ini from UFF is used instead of Origin EXE.

5. If you could stably reproduce the crash, could you generate a log file for us.
1) Choose Window: Script Window menu in Origin.
2) Run the command: Debug_log 2 <ENTER>
--> It will turn on debugging and also tell u where the log file will be generated. Write the path down.
3) Restart Origin and do the steps that can cause crash.
4) Get the ORIGIN_LOG.TXT from the path you wrote down and make sure it's dated correctly. Email the file to us.

It's too later to contact you today. Is it OK that you email tech@originlab.com your contact info. so we could call you talk more about it.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000