The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 PDF export, how to decrease file size?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alexander.steppke Posted - 08/30/2012 : 2:09:39 PM
With the current Origin 8.6 I produced a number of graphs but the file size is quite large and a publication including lots of graphs problematic.

Exporting an empty graph produces a roughly 500 kB pdf file here (Windows 7) on my machine, with lots of datapoints this can raise up to 1 MB. This is ok for a single file but for a publication containing more than 20 graphs sending by email is not really an option anymore.

Adobe Acrobat can compress the graphs from 700 kB to 14 kB each, so there seem to be a lot of redundant information included. Unfortunately Acrobat messes up the line width, so that is not really an option.

Is there any easy way to reduce the file size of graphs exported to pdf significantly?
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alexander.steppke Posted - 08/30/2012 : 3:21:37 PM
Hi Hideo Fujii,

thank you for your prompt reply. This is indeed significantly reducing the file size!

Hideo Fujii Posted - 08/30/2012 : 2:25:44 PM
Hi alexander.steppke,

I have tried to export an empty graph to a PDF file, and found:

- If I set the "Fonts" option to "Embedded" and 300dpi, the file size went to 423KB.
- If I set the "Fonts" option to "Descriptor Only" and 300dpi, the file size went to 2.8KB.

So, I suspect you specified "Embedded" font in your test. Unless your graph contains special fonts, I suggest "Descriptor Only" option.

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000