The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Linewidth, Font size and rectangle sizes differ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alexander.steppke Posted - 09/05/2012 : 09:45:36 AM
In the current 8.6 SR1 version of Origin I noticed something that I do not really understand concerning the dimensions of lines, rectangles and font sizes.

To reproduce:
Create a rectangle without a border line, set the width to 100 pt.
Create a vertical line, set the line width to 100 pt and align to the rectangle.

The line is wider than the rectangle, the error is small but noticeable, about 3%.

For font sizes the difference is even larger. An 100 pt text in Origin shows up in an exported pdf document as 92 pt text.

I have found no option to correct this and I tried to disable every scaling feature I found put it still exports with the wrong sizes.

The linewidth issue is not so severe, but if all font sizes are off by 8% this is really noticeable.

Is there any way to fix this behavior?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alexander.steppke Posted - 10/05/2012 : 10:07:25 AM
Hi Kathy,

sorry for replying so late, I did not receive the new message email from the forum. Thank you for trying to reproduce the problem. I also tried myself and I can reproduce it sometimes but not always.
I have tried with different pdf export options but the problem persists. The font size is given as 92pt in Adobe Illustrator, the line width is also from Adobe Illustrator but the difference can be seen in Origin itself already.

Maybe it is easiest if I upload the Origin graph and the resulting pdf document. The Origin graph is available at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30565039/Graph13.ogg, the resulting pdf document at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30565039/Graph13.pdf.

The export options look like this:
Kathy_Wang Posted - 09/07/2012 : 01:58:54 AM
In addition, regarding the line width and rectangles size difference, may I ask why you would like to have it fixed? What kind of visual effect you would like to have? There might be workarounds if you specify your needs.

Kathy
Originlab
Kathy_Wang Posted - 09/07/2012 : 12:50:45 AM
Hi,

For the line width and rectangle size difference, the reason is probably that the "line width" was calculated by Origin, and the "rectangular width" is determined by calling external control, during the different processes, there might be slight difference between the two widths and it becomes more obvious when the objects are getting bigger.

For the text size problem, I tried to insert a text object to an Origin graph and set its font size as 100 (font:Arial), I exported this graph as a pdf and used Adobe Acrobat to add another text with font size 100 (also Arial), you may check from the screenshot of the pdf file that the text sizes are the same:

So in order to reproduce the problem, we may need more details regarding this issue:

1) What is the setting of the export graph dialog when you export pdf?( I assume you exported a graph but if you exported a worksheet please also mention the corresponding settings)

2) Which software you are using to browser the PDF? Is it Adobe Acrobat, or Adobe Reader? And how did you determine the font size is 92? (Is it directly shown somewhere in the software when you select the text?)

Kathy
Originlab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000