The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 mean of a noisy curve

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scalpa Posted - 09/25/2012 : 06:22:29 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.5 SR2
Operating System:win7

Hello,

I have a noisy curve on which the x are not evenly spaced (plus, there are several y for some xs).
I'd like to "bin" it ie have regularly spaced points that take the mean y value and I need the SD as well.
I'm sure it's there but I could not find it.
thanks for any clue.

best

scalpa
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scalpa Posted - 10/02/2012 : 04:09:54 AM
Hi Hideo,

that's exactly it. Thank a lot !

all the best

scalpa
Hideo Fujii Posted - 10/01/2012 : 3:14:54 PM
Hi scalpa,

I think I got better understanding what you want. Could you please try the following procedure?

1) To aggregate the X values to equi-spaced series (with X Initial and X Increment),
add a column (col(C) below), and calculate the column by Set Column Values tool using the formula:

(Int((col(A)-IniX)/IncX))*IncX+iniX+(IncX/2)

2) Run the "Statistics on Columns" for Y (col(B) in my sample) with the above new column
as the Group Variable.

3) From "DescStatsFlat1" sheet, make a plot from X-Y-YErr.

Hope this matches to what you have envisioned.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

P.S. As seen in the above screenshot, you can also get and use the SE (Standard Error of the mean) instead of SD.
scalpa Posted - 10/01/2012 : 12:38:35 PM
HI Hideo,

thank you for response but this does not do the trick for me. I absolutely need the sd for each x. what i would like is : impose a bin size and within this bin (where I have several points), compute the average of the ys and the corresponding sd. (the xs are given by the binning and the origin).

any way to do this with origin ?

best

scalpa
Hideo Fujii Posted - 09/25/2012 : 2:49:41 PM
Hi scalpa,

To make a plot of X-evenly-spaced, mean-replaced-at-same-X plot, you can try the following:

1) Highlight Y column, and select "Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: Statistics on Columns".
In the tool's dialog, specify the X column as the "Grouping Range" under "Input Data> Range 1" option branch.
You can turn off unnecessary statistics like Sum, Min, Max, etc. You get the SD, etc.
in a flat report sheet, "DescStatsFlat1".

2) In this flat sheet, you can highlight unique X column, Mean column as Y, and SD column as yErr.
(If single point at an X position, SD would be "--" (missing value), and you can replace them to 0, if you like.)

3) Run "Interpolate/Extrapolate" menu under "Analysis: Mathematics" menu for the Mean plot
to produce the evenly spaced plot. (No way, but these rearranged points no longer have SD errors.)

Hope the above procedure works for your purpose.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000