The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 apparently not refinable parameter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Andreas_L Posted - 04/13/2002 : 1:00:21 PM
Dear all,

I am doing a mulit-dataset refinement (see also topic: simultaneous fitting 4/10/2002)
with a relatively complex function

a00+(a0+ a1*exp((x-x0)/s)+ a2*exp((x-x0)/(2*s))+ a3*exp((x-x0)/(3*s))) *exp(-Q*(1/5-1/k))

where k is separate for each set of data.
I set all variables to appropriate values and
already a good fit with refining a1, a2, a3, x0, s.
When I want to refine Q (initial value 160),
there is the error 28036, suggesting setting
the parameter fixed.
This also occurs when I set all other parameters fixed.
Then I tried to vary Q over a wide range and checked the chi^2 without refining.
The curves change considerably, and also with
strongy deviating curves, the indicated chi^2
do not change at all.
So, Q strongly influences the curves considerably, and "by eye" I think there should be an optimum of Q around 160, but
refinement fails.

Any ideas/tricks, with which I can settle that problem? Some parameters in the control sections, which may improve that behaviour?
Best regards
Andreas Leineweber

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
H.Steen Posted - 04/17/2002 : 11:58:01 AM
I have not tested your function, however is it is possible that you are plotting using a logarithmic scale on your Y axis (I do see that you have several exponential functions) ? If this is the case remember that a visible large difference for small values will be ignored due to the fact that the differences for high values are several orders higher even if they by manual inspection looks equal (again at a plot using logarithmic scale). To solve the problem you have to either change the weight for each data point or, if possible, normalize your data before the fit is done. In my case I fitted a function to Log(Y) instead of Y and then recalculated the result to find the fitting function to the dataset Y.

Helge
rtoomey Posted - 04/15/2002 : 10:19:15 AM
Andreas,

From the looks of your equation, it might be overparameterized. This may be the reason Q does not converge at around 160. However, I do not have an explanation as to why the Chi^2 value does not change. If possible, could you please send the following items to OriginLab Technical Support:

• Your fitting function definition file (*.FDF) (see Note)
  • Sample data
  • A list of each parameter's meaning
  • At least one set of initial parameter values
  • A list of constants (if there are any)
  • A set of instructions with which I can try to reproduce the behavior

Note: FDF files are saved to the \Origin\FitFunc folder. To locate your FDF, open Windows Explorer and locate the FitFunc folder. Then, locate any FDF files which are named user##.fdf (where ## is an index number). Your FDF file will most likely be the one which was most recently created (as noted in its Properties).

We look forward to assisting you.

Sincerely,

Ryan Toomey
Technical Support Engineer
OriginLab Corporation

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000