The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 exporting graphs for PLOS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wdjkirk Posted - 06/20/2013 : 1:10:04 PM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9 SR2
Operating System: Windows XP
I am trying to submit a paper to the journal PLOS ONE (http://www.plosone.org/), which requires graphs as eps or tiff at 300 dpi. I can produce this easily in Origin but the graphs are rejected by the online quality checker. With eps I get a message that some non-standard fonts are not included (I am only using Arial as far as I am aware) and with tiff I get the message that the file has components that use the indexed color model and it needs to be converted to CMYK. However, when I export as CMYK I get a message that it needs to be RGB. Has anyone found any settings that are accepted by PLOS? William.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
greg Posted - 06/20/2013 : 5:12:46 PM
They will reject it because of the 8 bit Gray Scale. We do not support 24 bit gray scale. Try the RGB 24 bit, but set your Graph Theme to B&W Publication for export. If straight black and white is not desirable, the you will have to make sure all colors in you plot are actual grays, i.e. Red = Green = Blue.
wdjkirk Posted - 06/20/2013 : 4:36:05 PM
I had fewer reported errors with tiff, so I used that. The graphs were of fixed size and grey scale, so I used RGB, 8-bit grey scale, fixed size, margin tight 0, dpi 600, LZW compression. They graphs all failed the quality check with the above message about indexed color model. However, I have carried on regardless and will wait to see what the editors say (if it is accepted).
greg Posted - 06/20/2013 : 4:05:18 PM
When publishers get over-restrictive on what an acceptable image is, it's probably best to stay away from vector formats (like EPS) and stick with raster (i.e. TIFF). EPS has to be interpreted and quirks in their software might raise flags that other software would not have a problem with.

Reading their requirements, I see that RGB 24-bit Color is what they are looking for. Use only LZW compression. You can use Margin Control of Tight to minimize white space around your graph.

The final, step is setting the graph size and DPI Resolution. For this you would need to know the published size and publisher requirements.
Suppose your publication will be printing your graph in a 3 inch column and they demand 1200dpi. Set your width to 3 inches and DPI to 1200.

Note that if you exported a normal Origin graph (width around 11+ inches) at 1200 dpi, you could easily get a file of hundreds of megabytes. Change the setting to 320 dpi and the file would be indistinguishable in quality from a graph exported at 3 inches wide with 1200 dpi.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000