The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Working with Excel_Setting column values

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sarath_2010 Posted - 07/13/2013 : 05:15:20 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.0
Operating System: Win Vista Business (32-bit)

Is there a way to set column values in a book using columns from an excel book in the same folder? Essentially, I need to call values from the excel worksheet within the origin folder and populate my origin column for further analysis. Also, is there a way to set column values in one book using values in a column in another book?
Thanks.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JacquelineHe Posted - 07/16/2013 : 10:02:43 PM
Hi Sarath,

When you using Excel in Origin, there are some problems occasionally.

Please refer to the second section of this help page:
http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/UserGuide/Troubleshooting_Problems_Using_Excel_in_Origin.html

Additional, if you require full access to all of Origin's graphing and analysis features, I suggest you would import your Excel data files into Origin.
(Select File: Import: Excel(XLS, XlSX...) in the menu. )

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab
Sarath_2010 Posted - 07/16/2013 : 03:39:12 AM
Thanks, Jaqueline! That saved my day.
But I wonder why even after the recalculate is set as auto, as shown in my previous post, I have to update origin to update the workbook. Interestingly, a graph using values from excel gets automatically updated once the excel sheet is changed, without clicking 'update origin'.
JacquelineHe Posted - 07/16/2013 : 02:30:43 AM
Hi Sarath,

You can try to right-click on the Excel window, and select Update Origin in the context menu.

If you set the Recalculate: Auto in the Set Column Value dialog, the column value will be updated.

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab
Sarath_2010 Posted - 07/15/2013 : 08:18:59 AM
Hi Jacqueline,
I am unable to make it work by following your steps. I even tried changing the excel workbook properties from external to internal (to align with what I see you have done) and also tried unchecking the "Do not save, read only option". Still no change! My 'set column values' always returns empty cells.

Please let me know where am I going wrong with this.
Thanks.

Best,
Sarath.
JacquelineHe Posted - 07/15/2013 : 03:36:52 AM
Hi Sarath,

You can declare range variable for a column from Workbook or Excel window.

I assume the Excel window is "Book2" in the Origin project. You can open the Set Column Value dialog in another workbook and enter this script to the Before Formula Script panel to call the column.

range aa=[book2]sheet1!1;
//Book2(excel book) sheet1 column1

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000