The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Importing multiple xlsx into existing books

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
johannes.kastl Posted - 07/26/2013 : 07:46:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I want to import multiple xlsx-files into existing workbooks. I found http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/UserGuide/Importing_from_Excel.html, but Im stuck now:

I can select more than one file, and make all settings (headers, sub-headers, ...). And the import is working, but I always get new workbooks. Except for the one workbook I selected as Output destination.

Workbooks:
Workbook_A
Workbook_B
Workbook_C
Workbook_D

Excel Files:
Number1.xlsx
Number2.xlsx
Number3.xlsx
Number4.xlsx
Selected as Output: Workbook_A

Workbooks After the import:
Number1.xlsx
Number2.xlsx
Number3.xlsx
Number4.xlsx
Workbook_B
Workbook_C
Workbook_D

Even if I adapt the names of the existing workbooks to match the ones created for the new workbooks, I still the newly created ones.

Is this possible with the import dialog? Do I oversee a settting somewhere?

I think I could solve the import with labtalk and importing just one workbook simultaneously, but I also think Origin should be able to do that.

Thanks in advance,
Johannes

P.S.: I also found no way to shorten the new name, to get rid of the '.xlsx'. I can only cut off a number of letters from the beginning, or shorten the name to a certain length.

Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9.0.0G SR2
Operating System: WinXP
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
johannes.kastl Posted - 07/29/2013 : 07:26:55 AM
Hi Snow,

thanks for the information, sad to hear that its not possible. I'll try the labtalk way then, we'll see if it works.

The reason for importing into existing worksheets is that I have seven workbooks, which already contain data, and where 100+ graphs are already setup depending on these workbooks (historically grown).

I need to change the data in these books from time to time, and have grown bored from copying manually each time... ;-)

Regards,
Johannes
snowli Posted - 07/26/2013 : 12:33:39 PM
Hello,

We don't support importing multiple files each to an existing workbook from GUI. Unless as you said, using LT script.

Is there anything specific to these Workbook_A, B, C, D you want to keep when importing excel files into them? Like some customized column label rows, display format, column designation, etc.

If you have some customization in those workbook_A, B, C, D workbooks, you can save such workbook as workbook template. Then use File: New: From Template and set the saved template as Default.

Then click New workbook will use your template as default.
Also when you import multiple excel files, they will all be imported into such workbook template.

As to workbook naming. In Import excel dialog. There is an Import Options: (Re)Naming Worksheet and Workbook node.
Check Auto Rename Using File name, will use file name without extension as workbook short name. Short name doesn't support special characters and space so those special characters will be removed.

Thanks, Snow
OriginLab Corp.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000