The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Specific number of data points to have symbols

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zizrjb Posted - 10/10/2013 : 06:35:54 AM
Origin Ver. 8.5.1 and Service Release SR2
Operating System: Win 7

Dear All,

I have a line graph and I want to add a few symbols on the line to distinguish it from other graphs. I don't want it to change it to line+symbol as I have tens of thousands data points. I just want to add say 5 or 10 data symbols on the graph (equally separated). I know for sure other softwares do this. Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
ziz rjb
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
greg Posted - 10/10/2013 : 4:43:51 PM
Two solutions come to mind:

(1) Plot your data twice in the layer. Once as a Line plot and again as a Symbol plot. In Plot Details, for the Symbol plot, on the Drop Lines tab, check the Skip Points box and choose a value. You can try values and use the Apply button to see the effect.

(2) Plot your data as a Line+Symbol plot. Then use the following script to set the Symbol size to zero and then set special points to whatever size you like:

set %C -z 0; // Set Symbol Size to 0
get %C -e size; // Get the size of the dataset
// Now loop over the dataset and get 10 evenly spaced points
for(idx = 1 ; idx <= size ; idx += nint(size/10))
{
set %C idx -z 15; // Set these special points to 15pt size
}

zizrjb Posted - 10/10/2013 : 12:03:03 PM
Thanks Hideo Fujii. This solves the problem for now.

It would be ideal if we can specify the exact number of symbols to show rather than the skipped data points as some of the graphs have different data points. May be it would be included in the next versions of Origin.

Regards,
ziz rjb
Hideo Fujii Posted - 10/10/2013 : 11:49:07 AM
Hi,

Please try to turn OFF the check box of "Gap to Symbol" for the Symbol/Line Interface in the "Line" tab in the Plot Details dialog.
It should connect the lines as before.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
zizrjb Posted - 10/10/2013 : 10:49:16 AM
Hi Hideo Fujii,

Thanks for the reply. This won't work as skipping the data points will delete the line in between and will end up with a scatter plot!

Regards,
ziz rjb
Hideo Fujii Posted - 10/10/2013 : 10:31:06 AM
Hi ziz rjb,

There is a "Data Points Display Control" in the "Drop Lines" tab in Plot Details dialog (at each plot level). You can change the plot type to "Line+Symbol" from "Line" at the bottom left of Plot Details, then choose "Drop Lines" tab. You can turn ON the check box of the "Skip Points", and specify the number of skipping points.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000