The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 need FFT with higher frequency resolution

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
physcool Posted - 11/06/2013 : 7:59:06 PM
Origin Ver.8 and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:windows 7

Hi

I have a problem in performing FFT. I need to do FFT on a data set with x from -5 to +5 with 10000 data points. I need to get amplitude vs frequency data. When I perform FFT, the origin automatically select sampling rate, and the resulting frequency step is very large (somewhere ~0.05). I need to get FFT amplitude data with better resolution of frequency(smaller frequency steps to have more data points in a given range of frequency) since I need to get FFT amplitude at low-frequency regions below 1. If I manually change the sampling rate, it changes frequency steps, but it just shrinks the frequency range and results do not make sense. Can you help me on this to produce higher resolution FFT data within a given frequency range? Thank you very much.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Drbobshepherd Posted - 11/08/2013 : 12:29:25 PM
To increase the frequency resolution of your FFT, you have to increase the time of your sampled data. To double the resolution, increase the x-range from -10 to 10, setting y=0 for -10< x <-5 and 5 < x <10. Then execute the FFT. This is a well-known technique called zero padding.

Note: High-frequency spikes may result from this. To prevent this from happenning, apply the apodization window before padding the data with zeros.

Let me know if this works.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000