The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 several columns of categorical data

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dex1337 Posted - 11/16/2013 : 09:46:10 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9
Operating System: W7

Hi,
I am fairly new to Origin. My problem right now is that I have categorical data, which I want to plot and then assign symbols to and not use the "assign symbol by category". I tried to create new XY colums for each category, but then it is plotted on the same "x-value".
Does anyone know how I can either change the symbol of a category without using the automatic system or how can I plot categorical data which is in several columns?

Thanks!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dex1337 Posted - 11/18/2013 : 12:57:28 PM
Thank you very much for your help! The second method did the trick.

Thanks again!

Best regards
lkb0221 Posted - 11/18/2013 : 11:38:02 AM
Hi,

Your quick A-B-C categorical plot uses custom symbol indexed by col(A), right? But col(A) is also the category info column, so symbol under different category will have different shape.

So if you want A and C share the same shape/interior/color, you need a three column for index. See the example below:

There is also another way. You can plot each category separately (by drag&drop) and then group them together in Layer Content dialog.
Then you can customize the shape/color/interior increment list in Group tab of Plot Details dialog, without a third column.

hope this would help.

Zheng
OriginLab
dex1337 Posted - 11/18/2013 : 09:01:05 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply! Sorry, my explanation was maybe a bit misleading, it is quite hard to explain. I created a quick plot:

What I want to do is change the symbols used manually and not get them assigned by the categorical column as it does right now. For example, I want to use squares for category A and C. How do I change this?

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000