The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 plotting 3D function

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hrbacekj Posted - 06/28/2002 : 06:42:25 AM
Is Origin 6.1 capable to plot f(x,y) funtions? I only found f(x) function plotting.

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jose Posted - 07/02/2002 : 07:10:08 AM
quote:
But how do you ensure interpolation between points to be the same as the function itself?

The interpolation problem is something you find also when plotting functions, not only datasets. At the end a function is also a dataset, and you can change in its properties how many points you want to use for the interpolation.

But plotting your functions "manually", using datasets in worksheets, gives you more control on the interpolation. You can increase the point density in certain ranges where you know your function varies faster, and correct with this some Origin deficiencies (for example, in versions earlier that 7, x-log plots didn't show an uniform density of points along the X axis...)

Maybe Origin could make a more intelligent distribution on points, checking for singularities or for fast and complicated variations, but while it continues making uniform distribution of points plotting your functions with datasets is a better option for certain cases.

Jose Viņa, Origin WebRing member

Edited by - Jose on 07/02/2002 07:12:09
hrbacekj Posted - 07/01/2002 : 3:13:00 PM
Thank you. This is what I did in the end. But how do you ensure interpolation between points to be the same as the function itself? I think if the function is rather complicated then interpolation will not represent the real function well. What is the maximum dimension of matrix that can be done using Origin?

Laurie Posted - 06/28/2002 : 08:50:47 AM
While it is true that our function plot type is only f(x), you can create X,Y,Z data. Open a new worksheet and add a third column to it. Right-click and designate this column as a Z column. Right-click on this column again and open the Set Column Values dialog. You can fill this column with data based on some function of the first two columns (X,Y).

This data can now be plotted as a 3D scatter plot. If you're looking for a 3D surface or contour plot, then open a matrix window (file:new matrix). You can set f(x,y) from here.

OriginLab Technical Support

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000