The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Excel Import Filter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cdrozdowski111 Posted - 05/22/2014 : 05:51:51 AM
OriginPro 9.1 SR2 64-bit/32-bit, Win7 Pro 64-bit, running in VMware Fusion 5.0.4

I need to have an Import Filter for Excel files with a certain format of data. I opened the Filter Manager, edited the default Excel Import Filter and saved it as my own (in UFF, different name, description, etc).

The data is in XY pair format. There many be 1 pair, or an arbitrary number of XY pairs.

When I set the column designation to (XY), it neither imports single XY pair data nor multiple XY pair data correctly. I read Help for impExcel but it provided no insight.

Am I missing something?!?

BTW, I know how to write an after import script to fix the issue but haven't done that yet.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cdrozdowski111 Posted - 05/23/2014 : 3:21:21 PM
Oh yeah, I do get that same first dialog as well- Import file or open Excel. I didn't think to mention it.

I think it all works fine.
snowli Posted - 05/23/2014 : 3:10:52 PM
Great to know it works for you.

I made several filter including some ascii and excel ones.
If I drag dat file, i saw the dialog to choose which filter to use.
if I drag excel file, it first asks me to import or open excel. I choose import. It directly import with built-in filter.

I will check further.

Thanks, Snow
cdrozdowski111 Posted - 05/23/2014 : 2:14:14 PM
SnowLi,

With regards to B, I actually get a dialog box when I drag and drop an Excel file into Origin (with my custom Excel import filter installed). I said I don't ever use drag and drop but I thought I'd try it once just to see how it looks and found the dialog box.

snowli Posted - 05/23/2014 : 11:14:36 AM
Hi Chris,

Yes, that's what I guessed how you found the (XY) syntax.

I will bring the consistency issues and several other issues which I found in our next TS meeting.

a. No Column designation in other imports except Excel import and Import Wizard.
b. Drag and drop failed to show a db to allow user to pick which excel import to use.

And maybe I will also check if we should add After Import Script in more import dialogs.

Thanks, Snow
cdrozdowski111 Posted - 05/22/2014 : 6:24:16 PM
Snowli,

Your suggestion to use "XY XY" works!

For reference, I tried to use "(XY)" because it was what I used when I created a different Import Filter (for multi-XY pair ASCII data) via the Import Wizard. So I assumed it would also work with my Excel Import Filter. But as I said, your solution works fine.

I use Import Filters via the File: Open dialog's File Type list. I called this particular filter "CHD Fluorolog Excel Import Filter". So when I want to import that particular format of Excel data, it's right there in the list while the more generic Excel

As for dragging and dropping, I only use it for installing the occasional OPX file. I have a very small laptop screen so I run Origin maximized to get all the window real estate that I can. It's a bit of a hassle reducing window size and dragging and dropping on a small screen so the File: Open dialog is more efficient in my case.

As for using the File: Import Excel method, it doesn't offer LabTalk Script after Import (which I need).

Thanks!!!
snowli Posted - 05/22/2014 : 10:11:41 AM
Hi Chris,

When editing the filter, could you select the XY XY from the column desingation dropdown list to see if that works.

BTW, after saving the Import Excel Filter, how do you use the filter? Add it into File: Open dialog's File Type list? Or using drag and drop?

If you will always use File: Import Excel, maybe the most straightforward way is choosing File: Import: Excel to see the ImpExcel dialog. Customize the settings there and save the dialog theme as <default>

Then every time you use File: Import Excel. It will use this settings. You can uncheck the Show Options dialog so no need to see ImpoExcel db everytime.

Thanks, Snow

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000