The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Prime symbol in superscript

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
b-1 Posted - 05/23/2014 : 07:35:28 AM
Hi everybody,

For the real part of a third-order susceptibility I need some formula like: \g(c)\=(3,')

My problem is that the prime(') symbol gets too small and too high in my example, because of the superscript.

In other words, is there a possibility to write \g(c)' with index 3?

Thanks very much in advance!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cdrozdowski111 Posted - 05/30/2014 : 06:32:17 AM
Hey,

I have a little trick to add regarding Unicode and math symbols (in case someone finds this in the future). It may or may not always work!!!

Wikipedia has a nice page on math symbols: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols

I was able to easily place some Unicode math symbols in Origin text (in Origin 9.1 at least) by doing the following:

1) In Chrome browser on the Wikipedia page, highlight the symbol in the "Symbol in HTML" column and copy it.
2) Add a Text object to your Origin graph.
3) Using WYSIWYG mode, paste the symbol.
4) Open the Properties dialog and you should see the code for the symbol.

You might have to change the font to "Arial Unicode MS" and not all symbols are supported or are exactly what you need!!!

With regards to the prime (and double, triple, quadruple) Unicode symbol, Wikipedia has a page on that symbol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_(symbol)

Note- "_(symbol)" is part of the above URL!

You can copy/paste from that page or get the 4-digit unicode number (w/o the U+) to put in your "\x(####)" Origin Unicode escape sequence.
b-1 Posted - 05/29/2014 : 08:24:43 AM
Thank you so much for all the answers! I did not know how to use unicode in Origin and the commas don't look bad neither.
rdremov Posted - 05/28/2014 : 6:29:42 PM
You may try using Unicode node for prime, e.g.
\g(c)\=(3,\i(\f:Arial(\(x03B9))))

There are multiple glyphs available, I found \(x399), \(x131) in addition to \(x3b9). I am sure you could find even better one in Symbol Map dialog with Unicode checked.
Castiel Posted - 05/27/2014 : 11:05:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by b-1

Hi Echo, hi Castiel,

thank you for these interesting solutions I haven't heard from before.

To change the superscript offset to minimum looks ok for \g(c)\=(3,\-(\p250('))). Unfortunately all other superscripts, including the axes labeling, are changed as well so this does not work.

As this problem is more difficult than I hoped, this time I will "cheat" with two overlapping textboxes . But I will keep Aurora in mind for the future ...

Still, I have a dream that in Origin 10, perhaps, there will be a matching prime symbol hidden somewhere

Thank you

Anton

©c¡Ï   ¤È¥¹  ©f¨u©c  ©c¥ì    ¥Î¤³  ©c/     ©¦£¯
 ©c¨Ê¥Î ¤´¥¨  ¥ó ¨×   ¥ó¤á' ¥Ì©¦¥­   /¤í  ¥Õ©¦©f
   ¨Ö             ¦á          ©¦£þ  ©` ¥Õ   ©¦
                              ©¦
snowli Posted - 05/27/2014 : 09:52:45 AM
Hi Anton,

Sorry that this dragged on. I will bring this up in next TS meeting to see how to improve this.

Since prime in Superscript shows too high, I am thinking another possibility is using Comma instead of prime symbol in superscript since in some fonts, comma looks like prime symbol. E.g.

\g(c)\=(3,\f:Corbel(,))
\g(c)\=(3,\f:Corbel(,,))

Thanks, Snow
b-1 Posted - 05/27/2014 : 06:53:36 AM
Hi Echo, hi Castiel,

thank you for these interesting solutions I haven't heard from before.

To change the superscript offset to minimum looks ok for \g(c)\=(3,\-(\p250('))). Unfortunately all other superscripts, including the axes labeling, are changed as well so this does not work.

As this problem is more difficult than I hoped, this time I will "cheat" with two overlapping textboxes . But I will keep Aurora in mind for the future ...

Still, I have a dream that in Origin 10, perhaps, there will be a matching prime symbol hidden somewhere

Thank you

Anton
Castiel Posted - 05/26/2014 : 11:28:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by b-1

The index in \g(c)'\-(3) is too far to the right. This gets even more obvious in the imaginary part \g(c)''\-(3). What I am searching for is a prime symbol directly above the subscript index.

In LaTeX, i.e., after some research I could express this with $\chi_3^{\prime\prime}$ (which is not the same as $\chi_3^{''}$ ). But I could not find a comparable solution in Origin code yet.

This sounds pretty pedantic, but I hope it's possible. I'm already thinking of putting two text boxes on top of each other (one with \g(c)\-3 and one with ' or ''), but it makes me feel filthy .

Doubtlessly, LaTeX is the one you should choose, professionally. My solution in Origin is Aurora by elevatorlady.ca, as OLE.

©c¡Ï   ¤È¥¹  ©f¨u©c  ©c¥ì    ¥Î¤³  ©c/     ©¦£¯
 ©c¨Ê¥Î ¤´¥¨  ¥ó ¨×   ¥ó¤á' ¥Ì©¦¥­   /¤í  ¥Õ©¦©f
   ¨Ö             ¦á          ©¦£þ  ©` ¥Õ   ©¦
                              ©¦
Echo_Chu Posted - 05/26/2014 : 10:24:33 PM
Hi, Anton,

If you are fine with \g(c)\=(3,\-(\p201('))) but only feel the prime is too high, you can change the superscript setting to make it lower.

1. Select menu Tools: Options
2. Choose Text Fonts tab

Please note that you should refresh the graph to make your setting works for existing symbols

Echo
OriginLab Technical Service
b-1 Posted - 05/26/2014 : 05:17:24 AM
No, unfortunately like \g(c)'\-(3) this is too blocky.

Looking at the imaginary part: \g(c)''\-(3) and \g(c)\-(3)'' really don't look good in a publication.
snowli Posted - 05/23/2014 : 2:54:41 PM
Will this work
\g(c)\-(3)'

Thanks, Snow
b-1 Posted - 05/23/2014 : 1:45:07 PM
In MathType it is possible to get primes directly above the index, but all letters are italic type. Also, it's a kludge to implement MathType into the caption of my graph. An additional text box is easier.

\g(c)\=(3,\-(\p201('))) is a good idea, but the prime is still too high. A double subscript in the superscript could perhaps work if that is possible?

Is there any other Origin code that would do the job?
Or is there a LaTeX-like "\prime" symbol that can simply be put into the exponent? (unfortunately I couldn't find any symbol that looks alike)
snowli Posted - 05/23/2014 : 12:41:36 PM
How about
\g(c)\=(3,\-('))

You can use \g(c)\=(3,\-(\p201('))) to make the ' bigger.

imaginary part will be as follows
\g(c)\=(3,\-(''))

In inplace edit mode, when i was at the superscript part, I clicked subscribe button again to split the original suerperscript into two parts again.

BTW, If you can use Tools toolbar. There is Insert Equation like MathType.

Thanks, Snow
b-1 Posted - 05/23/2014 : 11:55:21 AM
The index in \g(c)'\-(3) is too far to the right. This gets even more obvious in the imaginary part \g(c)''\-(3). What I am searching for is a prime symbol directly above the subscript index.

In LaTeX, i.e., after some research I could express this with $\chi_3^{\prime\prime}$ (which is not the same as $\chi_3^{''}$ ). But I could not find a comparable solution in Origin code yet.

This sounds pretty pedantic, but I hope it's possible. I'm already thinking of putting two text boxes on top of each other (one with \g(c)\-3 and one with ' or ''), but it makes me feel filthy .
snowli Posted - 05/23/2014 : 10:44:05 AM
\g(c)'\-(3) will work.

BTW, if you are trying to add text object in Origin, in the in-place edit mode, you can use the Greek, Superscript, Subscript, etc. buttons on Format toolbar to easily type what you want instead of using the syntax you mentioned.

E.g. in inplace edit mode, press Greek button down, then enter c, it will show as greek letter. Then click Greek button again to release it, etc.

Thanks, Snow

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000