The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Labelling x axis on column grpahs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AnnaBarnard Posted - 06/12/2014 : 05:58:38 AM
Hi,

I am trying to plot a column graph with 78 columns. The column labels on the x axis are item numbers but the program has assumed that I want to use a number based scale so the labels for the first column, which I have labelled 'Blank' and the final one 'Nutlin' are not labelled. When I right click the x axis and chose 'tick labels' I have set them to be 'text from data set' but still only some of the labels are displayed and I need them all to be displayed the same way they are in excel.

The graph looks like this:
http://www.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/Single Point GraphA.pdf

Instead of like this:
http://www.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/Collated results from new hDM2 single point.pdf
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AnnaBarnard Posted - 06/12/2014 : 10:49:21 AM
Hi,

Thanks so much for your help, changing the X column settings solved the problem!
snowli Posted - 06/12/2014 : 09:11:32 AM
Could you let us know which version of Origin are you using?

Here is what you can do in latest Origin 9.1.
Note: In some older versions, you may want to go to Tools: Options.
On Axis tab, set Numeric Scales to be 100 first under Max Number of Ticks group so you can see more ticks. The default is 20.

1. Select the X column and choose Column: Set as Categorical menu.

2. Select the Y column and plot a column graph.
--> When you set X to be categorical and plot, X axis tick labels will be set to categorical automatically.

3. To make the page wider, u can select Format: Page Properties menu to open the Plot Detail dialog, then go to Print/Demensions tab and increase the Width value, e.g. set it to 20 inch

4. Since no Y value in "Blank" X, it doesn't show in graph. You can double click X axis to go to X Axis: Scale node. Set From and To to be 0.5 to 79.5. Note: If you had entered 0 as the corresponding Y value to the X with Blank, you do not need to do this step.

5. To change font size of tick labels, you can select the tick labels. Then use Font size control on Format toolbar to modify it. Or you can open Axis dialog. Go to X Axis: Tick Labels: Bottom node. Set the font size to be smaller, e.g. 9.

6. To hide the long ticks showing at the center of each column, GO to X Axis: Line and Ticks: Bottom node. Set Major ticks to be None.

All tick labels are horizontal though which is different from your final graph. Is it OK?

If you are using an older version, some controls for Axis may not be in the same location. But they should work as well.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.
AnnaBarnard Posted - 06/12/2014 : 08:41:35 AM
Thanks for this, I followed the first part and this just made the axis labels disappear altogether. Even if I make the graph really big they don't come back! Can you help any further?
JacquelineHe Posted - 06/12/2014 : 07:05:44 AM
Hi,

I suggest you can:
1. Open the Axis dialog for the X Axis.
2. In the Scale page, set Major Ticks By Dataset, and choose the X dataset column for it. Click Apply button. Then it will show the Major Ticks and Tick Labels by the column dataset. Also you can hide the Minor Ticks.
3.Go to the Tick Labels page (Origin91)/ Custom Tick Labels tab (early version), and set the Rotation(degree) to 90.

Also, you can adjust space between the columns:
1. Select Format: Page Properties in the menu to open the Plot Detail dialog, then go to Print/Demensions tab and increase the Width value.
2. Then choose the Plot node in the left panel of the Plot Detail dialog.
3. Go to Spacing tab and increases the Gap Between Bars(in %) value.

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000