The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to extrapolate to "required" y?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Janaka Posted - 07/01/2014 : 04:40:56 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release: OriginPro8 and v8.0988
Operating System: Windows 7

Hi All,
May I know how to extrapolate a curve to a "required" y value (e.g., 140 on the curve shown below)?

Thank you,
Janaka

Janaka
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SeanMao Posted - 07/02/2014 : 02:52:32 AM
Hi Janaka,

Below is a video that shows you how to do "Interpolate/Extrapolate Y from X":

http://www.originlab.com/Index.aspx?go=Support/VideoTutorials&ss=chm&pid=1889

Regards!

Sean

OriginLab Tech.
Janaka Posted - 07/02/2014 : 02:41:25 AM
Hi Sean,

Thank you for information. Do you have a video for "Interpolate/Extrapolate Y from X" too? I am yet to find how to do it?

Thank you,
Janaka

Janaka
SeanMao Posted - 07/02/2014 : 01:59:17 AM
Hi Janaka,

For "Interpolate/Extrapolate Y from X", you have to prepare an additional X column other than original XY columns to calculated interpolated/extrapolated Y at all X values from that provided X column.

For extrapolation, the uncertainty in Y is very big when the extrapolated X is far from input X range as you have shown in your graph with "line" method.

The best way to solve your problem is to use Non-Linear Fit (NLFit) tool to fit your data with either build-in function or user defined function which predicts more reasonably according to fitting function.

You can go to "Analysis:Fitting:Non-Linear Curve Fit:Open dialog" to bring up dialog, and in the "Setting" tab "Find X/Y" page, you have the options to "Find X from Y" or "Find Y from X".

You can refer to the video tutorial below to perform it:
http://www.originlab.com/Index.aspx?go=Support/VideoTutorials&pid=1767

Regards!

Sean

OriginLab Tech. Service
Janaka Posted - 07/02/2014 : 01:10:19 AM
Hi Sean,

Could you please explain how to select "data range for input" (see on the attachment) for your 2nd option? Though I selected two columns, it still asks to select data for input range.

Janaka
Janaka Posted - 07/01/2014 : 11:49:12 PM
Hi Sean,

Thank you for the details but the first option doesn't make a correct extrapolation as you can see below. I am still trying the 2nd option.

Note: Here "linear" extrapolation was used as "method" and the other two gave even more unaccepted curves.

Janaka
SeanMao Posted - 07/01/2014 : 06:21:50 AM
Hi Janaka,

You can set your original X column as Y and use Y column as X, therefore you can input 140 as "X Maximum" in "Analysis:Mathematics:Interpolate/Extrapolate:Open dialog". Similarly, you can use "Interpolate/Extrapolate Y from X" to extrapolate at given X values (which is your Y).

Best regards!

Sean

OriginLab Tech. Service

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000