The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Profiles from contour plot

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kanani Posted - 09/10/2014 : 03:35:21 AM
Dear all,
I am using origin 8.1 and/or 9.1. In later one working with profile lines from a contour plot become much easier and better but still has inconveniences:

a) by moving the line on the plot the corresponding data sheet doesn't update. The activation button doesn't work always. I had to duplicate the line to get an updated data column.

b) there is no way to control the density of selected data points. That is worse for arbitrary lines which losses the smoothness of profiles. It doesn't release even by increasing the density of interpolating data points or neither the color coding intervals.

c) for arbitrary lines it is sometimes best if the x,y grid data shown as one diagonal quantity starting from the beginning of the line origin. In current versions it is not.

Any comments and hints are appreciated.
Bests,
Mansour
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
snowli Posted - 09/12/2014 : 10:51:20 AM
Hi Mansour,

Thank you for your feedback. I have asked our developers to take a look of your feedbacks on b and c. If you have some stable way to reproduce a, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Usually our new version is released in Oct. So it may be too late to test after 10/13. I asked our TS to send a link to download the beta build in case you have time here and there to give it a try. Don't have pressure on this.

Regards to "when you change the profile line name, it isn't updated in worksheet.". Could you give details? Where did you change the profile line name? Do you mean changing some name on ProfileData workbook? Did you change book name, sheet name or column long name, comments, etc.?

Sincerely,
Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.
kanani Posted - 09/12/2014 : 10:05:06 AM
Dear Snow,

Thanks for the reply. It's good news that the developers thinking in this direction too. Yes, I can check some of my examples on new features but first after 13th Oct.

regarding the points:
a) I think that's like a bug as released by simple rebooting the software. It is manly the case when the output data are piped into a calculation set and then they need to update every time. But I have some cases that even rebooting didn't work and I had to repeat input and whole processing and it worked for the same dataset! after that.

b) my mean is the later one. That's may be good to have a control to pick just certain number of points per length unit. That becomes more helpful when your grids are not equally spaced and it takes in one point a closer value to x and in another one to y.

c) As I said, profile line in arbitrary case is mostly to get the change of the quantity along that line. It does mean, it could be improved into step:
1. in addition to x,y columns (or instead) give a combined parameter along the line; in displacement field just take diagonal of x and y.
2. use known algorithm to draw new equal space meshing along the line and interpolate the missing data. That would be the best if you use original grid data points to interpolate to reduce numerical errors.

One more thing, when you change the profile line name, it isn't updated in worksheet.

Regards,
Mansour
snowli Posted - 09/10/2014 : 09:43:17 AM
Hi Mansour,

We have improved Image Profile and Contour profile in the coming Origin 2015 (9.2 internally) do you mind we send you some special build for you to try? We would appreciate your feedback.

Reply to your post:
a) Do you mean arbitrary line or all kinds of lines have such issue? I couldn't reproduce it in 9.1.

b) What do you mean the density of selected data points? We do support customize profile line width so more points are covered. And in next version, there is also Profile Quantity control so user can specify min, max, mean, etc. as the output quantity.
If you click the rightmost down arrow button on the Image Profile window that appears after plotting contour profile, you can see those controls. Or do you mean density along the profile line so several points along the profile line is covered?

c) We are working on profile along arbitrary line in 2015 and if you could give us some feedback, that will be great.

Sincerely, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000