The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 OPJ file size and compression - again

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hofmaale Posted - 11/02/2014 : 3:19:56 PM
Hi there,

instead of reviving an old thread, I rather create a new one; the last time this topic was discussed about seems to be in 2003 (at least I didn't find a newer thread with a quick search, I bet there are more: http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2746)

Wouldn't it be time to introduce a compressed Project File Option? Suggestion: don't reinvent the wheel, but create a .OPZ File version, that uses an established compressed file format (like ZIP or 7Z) as a container. That way:

- Project file size can sometimes be reduced to less than 1% (using recent LZMA)
- Backwards-compatibility would be honored up to some extent (just rename the file and decompress it)
- ease up sharing & collaborating, as smaller files are uploaded faster

I often have to import a large amount of data which can easily result in files >1GB; using 7z these files shrink to 50 Megs (and recently I compressed a 50MB .OPJ to about 700KB 7z)

Or did I miss something? Is this feature perhaps already present and I just didn't see it?

Different possibility: how far can the process of saving projects be controlled by OriginC? Is it possible to "add on" this feature?

Greetings

Alexander
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9.1
Operating System: Win 7
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MaxMace Posted - 11/06/2014 : 07:57:40 AM
Hello, Kathy.

Is the new feature out already? I think that it's a brilliant idea.

Thanks,

Max

It's a beautiful day!
Kathy_Wang Posted - 11/06/2014 : 04:05:37 AM
Hi,

A follow up on this: we already have a plan to add compressed option to OPJ, the reference ID is ORG-11787.

Kathy
Originlab
Kathy_Wang Posted - 11/03/2014 : 03:05:01 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, we will discuss whether/how to improve this shortly.

Kathy
Originlab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000