The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 3D color mapped

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ticofiz Posted - 01/14/2015 : 08:06:55 AM
Origin Ver 9.0. and Service Release SR0:
Operating System:Windows 7

Hello,

I am trying to plot a 3D density profile of a nozzle. I have three columns for spatial dimensions, xyz and one column for density. Could you please tell me how can I plot this as color mapped?

Many thanks,
Constantin
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
snowli Posted - 11/13/2017 : 4:55:19 PM
Hi Matthias,

Just FYI: We have just released Origin 2018 with these supported.
1. You can map color of XYZ surface plot to other columns in worksheet.
2. You can define the boundary of XYZ surface by custom boundary data (x and y columns) in worksheet.

You can search 4D on originlab.com/2018

Thanks, Snow Li

quote:
Originally posted by Matthias Mueller

Hi snowli,

I have a few questions about 3D/4D plotting in this context:

- is a 4D plot also possible without converting the data to a matrix (3D surface plot with additional Z data as color map)?
- is there a way to set "borders" of the data, which should be displayed in the graph (similar to the option "contouring info" in 3D plots, which can be used to set custom boundary data)?

Thanks for you help!

Matthias

Sam Fang Posted - 03/21/2017 : 06:04:33 AM
Hi Matthias,

I sent the tool to your email registered in this forum. You can check it.

We will support xyzz parametric surface plot with boundary in next version.

If you have any question about the tool, please let us know.

Sam
OriginLab Technical Services
Matthias Mueller Posted - 03/20/2017 : 12:08:21 PM
Dear Sam,

thanks for your reply. Looking forward to use the tool.

Kind regards,
Matthias
Sam Fang Posted - 03/20/2017 : 05:30:10 AM
Hi Matthias,

We have a function which can determine whether a point is located in a closed curve or outside the curve.

I can make a tool for you tomorrow. You just need plot the surface with the boundary curve (use a constant as z) in a graph. Then the tool can set missing for values in the matrix outside the boundary.

In the future, we may make an App to plot xyzz data with custom boundary directly. User needn't grid data manually.

Sam
OriginLab Technical Services
Matthias Mueller Posted - 03/17/2017 : 11:53:34 AM
Dear all, Dear Origin support team,

I'd like to come back to the issue of "4D matrix plots". I have a 3D surface plot produced from a matrix. I use a 2nd data set for colour mapping. Now, I have 2 questions:

1) Is there a way to set "borders" of the data, which should be displayed in the graph (similar to the option "contouring info" in 3D plots, which can be used to set custom boundary data)?

2) I'd like to use one Z data set to display in 3D and a 2nd Z data set to be projected in the XY-plane using colour maps. How can I produce such a graph?

If I simply produce a "3D surface plot with projections" from my XYZ data, I cannot choose another Z data set as a colourmap in the projection.

Any help appreciated!

Kind regards,

Matthias

--------------- EDIT:

Problem 2) is solved (I just had to produce the plot from the matrix again - using the option "with projection")
JaneWeekes Posted - 02/10/2015 : 10:58:02 PM
Very helpfully

Jane
Matthias Mueller Posted - 02/03/2015 : 07:53:29 AM
Hi Snow,

thanks for your help. The idea with the contour lines is good, but it makes the graph rather difficult to understand at the first glance.

However, I wanted to make a 3D plot and add a fourth Z data set using a color map - and to clip the data to custom boundaries (which was not possible with the follwing "4D matrix plot"):

Meanwhile I'll continue with an easier plot (2D contour plot combined with a scatter plot to show additional data).

I'll send my data in a few days.

Thanks,

Matthias

snowli Posted - 02/02/2015 : 12:14:41 PM
Hi Matthias,

Is it OK that you can send your data to us? tech@originlab.com.

It looks you want to plot 2D contour but you want the color to be from another Z but contour line from original Z.

You can actually plot the 2nd Z data as contour plot first. then customize it so only color shows. Contour lines are hidden.

Then add 1st Z data as contour plot in same graph. customize it so only contour line is plotted.

If you will use custom boundary, set the custom boundary for both plots.

Thanks, Snow
Matthias Mueller Posted - 02/02/2015 : 11:44:40 AM

Hi Snow,

thanks for your quick answer! It would be very nice, if clipping with custom boundaries would be available using "4D matrix plots" in the future :-)

Currently, I was trying to add additional Z data (XYZZ data set) to the color map below.

Kind regards
Matthias

[quote]Originally posted by snowli

Hi Matthias,

For surface plot, yes, you have to convert z data the 4th data into matrix and put them in same Matrix sheet before you can use the 4th data for colormapping.
But if you are plotting 3D scatter plot from xyz columns, you can use another column for color and another column for symbol size.

We don't have custom boundary similar to contour's contouring info. yet. Is our custom boundary a rectangle? If so, you can double click the plot to open Plot Details dialog. Select Layer1 node on left panel. Then go to Miscellaneous tab.
There are Clipping controls. So you can set the x and y range in %. Then only data in that rectangle frame will show.

Thanks, Snow

snowli Posted - 02/02/2015 : 11:23:42 AM
Hi Matthias,

For surface plot, yes, you have to convert z data and the 4th data (used for coloring) into matrix and put them in same Matrix sheet before you can use the 4th data for colormapping. But if you will use the z data itself as colormap, no need to convert to matrix.
And if you are plotting 3D scatter plot, you can use xyz column directly and use other columns for coloring and symbol size.

We don't have custom boundary similar to contour's contouring info. yet. Is our custom boundary a rectangle? If so, you can double click the plot to open Plot Details dialog. Select Layer1 node on left panel. Then go to Miscellaneous tab.
There are Clipping controls. So you can set the x and y range in %. Then only data in that rectangle frame will show.

Thanks, Snow

quote:
Originally posted by Matthias Mueller

Hi snowli,

- is a 4D plot also possible without converting the data to a matrix (3D surface plot with additional Z data as color map)?
- is there a way to set "borders" of the data, which should be displayed in the graph (similar to the option "contouring info" in 3D plots, which can be used to set custom boundary data)?

Thanks for you help!

Matthias

Matthias Mueller Posted - 02/02/2015 : 08:25:12 AM
Hi snowli,

Thanks for you help!

Matthias
snowli Posted - 01/15/2015 : 3:00:04 PM
Hi Constantin,

We got your data via email. I have emailed an opj back to you.

The instruction is the same as I posted above.

Thanks, Snow
snowli Posted - 01/15/2015 : 11:30:08 AM
Hi Constantin,

Here are instructions:

Make sure both the z data column and density column are set as Z first.

1. Select the Z data column in worksheet, and choose Worksheet: Convert to Matrix: XYZ Gridding.
2. You can expand the Gridding Settings node to set methods, and how many clumn/rows to generate, etc.
3. Make sure <new> is set in Output Matrix node.
4. Click OK
--> It will convert your 1st Z column into a matrix window.
5. Go to that Matrix window, you can choose View: Show X/Y to see the X and Y info. in column/row headers.

6. Now go back to workbook and select the density column.
7. Choose Worksheet: Convert to Matrix: XYZ Gridding.
8. Make sure under the Gridding Settings: Gridding Method and Parameters node, the number of Columns and Rows are the same as you used when converting z data.
9. For Output Matrix, use this syntax
[MatrixwindowName]MatrixsheetName!2

This will make sure putting the density data as 2nd object of the matrix sheet you generated just now.

Now you can plot z data in matrix window and then map the color as 2nd object (which is density)

Thanks, Snow
ticofiz Posted - 01/15/2015 : 06:15:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ticofiz

quote:
Originally posted by lkb0221

Hi,

To map a 4th dimension dataset to existing 3d surface, you need to convert your XYZ data to matrix form first. See the following tutorial for how to map a second matrix to the surface:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/3D-Colormap-Other-Mat

Zheng
Originlab

Thank you very much. It works perfectly.

Constantin

I was a bit too enthusiastic. When I have tried with my own data I have realised that it doesn't work as I want. I have three columnn for x, y, and z dimensions and the fourth is for density. I transform the three columns into matrix and another separate one column matrix for density. The problem is that when I plot the spatial matrix I get gibberish. Could you please tell me how can I set up the matrix so that it takes x,y and z axis in the proper way? I have sent you the data file that I am trying to plot.

Many thanks,
Constantin
ticofiz Posted - 01/14/2015 : 11:08:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lkb0221

Hi,

To map a 4th dimension dataset to existing 3d surface, you need to convert your XYZ data to matrix form first. See the following tutorial for how to map a second matrix to the surface:

Zheng
Originlab

Thank you very much. It works perfectly.

Constantin
lkb0221 Posted - 01/14/2015 : 11:01:50 AM
Hi,

Zheng
Originlab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000