The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Average multiple curves and masking.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dominik.mierzwa Posted - 04/27/2015 : 08:41:14 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9.1 SR1
Operating System:WIndows 7 PRO

Hi,

I have 2 data sets (curve) to average. The problem is that some of single data are masked but "Average multiple curves" tool does not ignore them and use these data for calculation. Can someone explain me how to average these curves without masked data?

Kind regards,
Dominik
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hideo Fujii Posted - 04/30/2015 : 2:23:04 PM
Here is one possible procedure to make an averaged curve from XYXY data:

1) Make a consolidated X column (col(E) in the sample) by copy-and-append from all X columns (col(B) and col(D).
2) Sort this consolidated column.
3) Run "Analysis: Mathematics: Interpolate/Extrapolate Y from X" for the first XY pair based on the consolidated
X (to get col(F)). Do the same for the second XY pair (to get col(G)). (It seems better to turn OFF the recalculation mode.)
4) Mask the Y range corresponds to the original masked X range in the interpolated columns.
5) Run the Statistics on Rows to get the mean values of each row.

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

P.S. The similar request has already been reported at our issue database, ID=[ORG-11186], and I have added this thread to the request list.
rumahasi Posted - 04/29/2015 : 05:48:40 AM
almost similar to the problems I had . Awaits further instructions solutions

Online Babyshop
http://rumahasix.com
dominik.mierzwa Posted - 04/28/2015 : 02:31:12 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Your idea is very good, but unfortunately I have separate XY series for each dataset. However I will try to standardize X for each dataset.

Once again thank you!

Kind regards,
Dominik
Hideo Fujii Posted - 04/27/2015 : 5:46:17 PM
Hi Dominik,

If I understand correctly, the masked data were circumvented by interpolation when you run the
Average Multiple Curves tool; So, say, if you have 3 plots with some segments being masked, the tool
supplies missing parts, and the averaging are executed always with three Y values at any X coordinate.
So, you need to limited the averaged curve only outside of the masked regions. If your data is
organized as XYYY, you can use the Statistics on Rows to produce the mean values at each X coordinate
as shown below.

If your plots are from data being designated like XYXYXY, it may be more complicated - probably
you have to look at all overlapped segments, interpolate, and average only involved plots.

I hope I didn't overlook some easy solutions.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000