The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 deconvolution

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dhavalshah Posted - 11/11/2002 : 12:52:30 PM
I am trying to perform deconvolution of given graph(I) with some number of points. Once i obtain the deconvolution output graph(II) i convolve it back with the original graph(III) to obtain the same output graph(I). What i see is my output is same as input(I) only if i change the scale or number of points of original(III) while i convolve. Practically it should not matter as i am performing deconvoluion between two data sets and then convolution but then i do not know why it happens. It would be gr8 if some one helps me on this.
email me at shah.22@wright.edu
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
greg Posted - 11/13/2002 : 11:52:01 AM
The Convolution and Deconvolution available from the Origin Analysis menu are limited in that:

[1]The Response dataset should be symmetrical
    [2]The Response dataset must have an odd number of points
    [3]The Response dataset should be smaller than half the signal dataset size
    [4]No normalization is done (convolution or deconvolution)
    [5]We include the bin index as the X

[2] and [3] are restrictions which can not be ignored. Ignoring [1] will result in positive and negative values that are shifted from each other. [5] can be completely ignored by simply deleting the Index[X] column that Origin creates. The effects of [4] simply change the Y scale and doing deconvolution followed by convolution (or vice-versa) - same response data - will cancel out the normalization problem.
Deconvolution can introduce some severe artifacts when the Signal contains any noise or the Response is broad in comparison to the Signal. Given this, Signal datasets should be smoothed before deconvolution and Response datasets should be 'narrower' than any features in the Signal dataset (this is only logical anyway).
While I didn't quite follow your procedure (convolution and deconvolution are worksheet procedures), if your data meets the restrictions above, you should be able to:
Convolute 'Signal' with 'Response' to get 'Convolution', then deconvolute 'Convolution' with 'Response' to get 'Signal'. Similarly, you should be able to deconvolute 'Signal' with 'Response' to get 'Deconvolution', then convolute 'Deconvolution' with 'Response' to get 'Signal'.
We will be re-writing the Convolution/Deconvolution code to use the NAG libraries which are less restrictive in their data requirements, so [1] through [5] will 'go away'.
(Note that the problems caused by deconvolution of noise and illogical Response peaks will remain.)

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000