The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Data Reader problems and page.maxpts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
peter.cook Posted - 01/14/2003 : 06:35:02 AM
HI,

I have often had problems with Origin using the data reader to capture certain points that can be seen on a graph - Origin just refuses. Previous Origin forum discussions and personal email suggest the problem is related to the search method employed. In my case, I have just found that I need to set the page.maxpts high enough to include missing values as well. I have an example dataset of 13440 rows where only the 1st 6 in every 84 rows contain data. setting page.maxpts to 10000 appears to display all points when scrolling through eg 1680 at a time, but I need to set page.maxpts to > 13440 to enable all visible points to be 'selected' - not just data reader.

Is this a bug / explanation for other users problems ?
How does setting page.maxpts reduce the data ?
Could this again be a search problem where the issue is a large number of missing data?

(Can send example opj file)

Cheers,

Pete

(Origin 6.1/7.0)

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
peter.cook Posted - 01/20/2003 : 03:00:37 AM
Thank Mike,

That will do nicely,

Cheers,

Pete

Mike Buess Posted - 01/17/2003 : 07:34:00 AM
Hi Pete,

You can turn speedmode off by setting page.maxpts=0.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
peter.cook Posted - 01/17/2003 : 06:04:58 AM
Hi Laurie, CP

Thanks for reply.

(Yes, the dataset is as described)

I missed the option of simply saving templates with the speed mode off!
What would be the best way to alter existing code such that no problems occur with old opj files eg

page.maxpts=100000 (v high value) - any downside?
or
page.rtMaxPts=1 ( I thought this would be the idea but it doesn't seem to do anything..?)
or something better!

In speedview mode, page.maxpts does need to iclude all the missing values - can't just lop off the end ones.

Likewise, just setting bisection search points to 15000 makes no difference ( in the case where speed view mode is on and page.maxpts isn't high enough ) but I gather this answes a different problem from previous forum.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Pete

cpyang Posted - 01/14/2003 : 6:57:18 PM
Try going to Tools:Options and in Miscellaneous tab, increase the

Bisection Search Points

to 15000.

CP

Laurie Posted - 01/14/2003 : 2:56:54 PM
Hi Peter,

I've seen where missing values at the end of a dataset have caused problems for the data reader tool. I'm not sure that I understand what your dataset looks like. Do you have 6 rows of data and then 78 rows of missing values where this repeats for a total of 13440 rows of data.

Page.maxpts corresponds to the Speed Mode setting. Open Plot Details for the layer (Format:Layer) and on the Size/Speed tab you'll see the Speed Mode setting. You can uncheck the Worksheet Data, maximum pts per curve checkbox to plot all the data points.

To understand what points get plotted when you have speed mode on, let's look at a simple case. Open a new worksheet and fill the two columns with row number values, 1-30. Plot the data as a scatter plot. Set the 'Worksheet Data, maximum pts per curve' editbox to 10. The following data points get plotted:

(1,1), (4,4), (7,7), (10,10), (13,13), (16,16), (19,19), (22,22), (25,25), (28,28)

Hope this helps.

OriginLab Technical Support

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000