The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 10 plots next to each other

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MotU235 Posted - 04/04/2016 : 09:46:52 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to plot 10 time-resolved measurments next to each other in the following way:

1) Measurment: I record one value for every sample every 24 h, so think about some fictional long term experiment where I measure the ohmic resistance of 10 electronic devices every 24 hours. The result is an table containing the time and the measured resistances like this:
==================
Time | R1 | R2 ... R10
in h | relative in %
------------------
0 | 92 | 100... 85
24 |15 | 95 ... 76
144 ...
==================

2) Display the data: Due to the fact that there might be an overlap of data over the hole scale, I don't want to plot all 10 curves in one single x-y-plot as point- or point-line-diagrams. I'd prefer something like 10 combined x-y-plots in the way that it is diplayed in 10 blocks. First block is resistance 1 from 0 to 144 h, second block is resistance 2 from 0 to 144 h and so on.

Of course this can easily be achieved by displaying each resistance-time-plot and merging the graphs using the built-in function, but that results in some afterwork deleting all the overlapping stuff like legend, axis and axis label and some manual formating for 10 axis so that the differentiation between plots is more convenient. That includes changing the background color to grey for the odd plots, manually adjust the scaling to add half a normal distance between datapoints before and at the end of each individual axis to prevent to narrow spacing between two plots.

For the result see forforum.pdf:
http://www.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/forforum.pdf

I'm not satisfied with the result in some ways though:
1) If I do a prolonged or shortened measurement, I would need to change 10 axis scalings by hand or using a predefined theme (using the theme-manager with F7) and fixing all the flaws resulting from merging the 10 plots again.
2) I don't like the way the time on x-axis is displayed right now. I would prefer something that is easier to read, for example only displaying the time-scale alone like the distance-scale in streetmaps. But that would include new problems - like automatically changing the labels of that scale depending on the given time.

Is there a better (=more or completely automated) way to achive the desired behaviour?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 2016G (64bit) Sr2
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro x64
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MotU235 Posted - 04/14/2016 : 08:52:06 AM
Hi Hideo Fujii,

thank you for your kind reply. It helped a lot.

Best Regards,

MotU235
Hideo Fujii Posted - 04/04/2016 : 11:55:54 AM
Hi MotU235,

Regarding 1), you can link child layer's axis ranges (From and To)to the parent layer - by "Straight(1 to 1)" or by "Custom" with a functional relationship. By linking layers, once you changed an axis scale of a layer, all other linked layer's axes are rescaled automatically. Linking can be done either from Axis dialog box, or from Layer Management tool:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/LayManage-LinkTab
(tutorial: http://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/MultiLayer-LinkAxes)

Hope this solves your issue.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000