The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 how does "subtract reference data" work

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eastblue Posted - 06/16/2016 : 2:05:25 PM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin 9.0.0(64-bit) SR2
Operating System: Window 7

In the origin, there is a menu (under analysis-data manipulation) called "subtract reference data". It seems to work okay when I try to subtract backgrounds from my original data. I, however, do not understand the algorithm to fully trust the result. Especially, I wonder how you can subtract background when the x points of original data and background data are different.

Could anyone have any idea about the subtract algorithm? Thank you in advance.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chris D Posted - 06/16/2016 : 2:33:24 PM
Hi,

According to our documentation:

"When the two datasets' coordinates differ, the two curves will be interpolated or extrapolated with linear interpolation before subtraction occurs."

Here are the docs on the subtract_ref X-Function that is called when you choose Subtract Reference fro the menu:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/X-Function/ref/subtract_ref

Here are docs on interpolation/extrapolation:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Math-Inter-Extrapoltate-YfromX#Algorithm

It basically performs the same as our Simple Curve Math tool (mathtool X-Function) but automatically sets the operator to subtract.

You can view the docs about that here: http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Math-SimpleColumnCurveMath

That page states:
"If X range for input and reference X is identical,operations perform on the corresponding Y range for input and reference directly.
If X range for input and reference is different , operations perform on the corresponding Y range for input and reference after the XY range interpolation or extrapolation. In addition:
If the option Use Common Range Only has been checked, the X values in Result is consist of all X values in sharing range, while the corresponding Y values are calculated after interpolation (extrapolation)."

Thanks,
Chris Drozdowski
Originlab Technical Support

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000