The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Grouping data and line fitting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kelsiu Posted - 07/06/2016 : 09:25:49 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 8.6
Operating System:Win8

I am a new user and I have trouble distinguishing data points with different colors and do line fitting. For each size(x axis) there are 10 height data (y axis) and I have data of five different sizes so I input my data like this:

I used scatter plot and it looks like this:

However, I want to use the same color and shape to represent the data points with same size. So it's like all the points with size=0.57 are black squares, then those with size=1.71 are red circle etc. I have found one example in internet:

In addition, how can I get a linear fitting line that pass through the mean data points of different sizes, like those in the above example?

All suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kelsiu Posted - 07/08/2016 : 02:38:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by snowli

Here is what you can do in 8.6

Of course you can manually select each plot on the left panel and set so for each plot.

Copy format for shape doesn't work well since it only remembers relative position of the Shape in your version so you must customize the shape for each plot in Plot Details dialog.

Thanks, Snow

Thanks a lot. It works very well
snowli Posted - 07/07/2016 : 12:23:56 PM
Here is what you can do in 8.6

Add a Shape column in worksheet.
Customize 1st plot as follows.

The first plot will have color Black, Red, Green ... for different sizes. Shape square, circle, etc. for different sizes.

Of course you can manually select each plot on the left panel and set so for each plot.

Copy format for shape doesn't work well since it only remembers relative position of the Shape in your version so you must customize the shape for each plot in Plot Details dialog.

For copy, you can right click the customized plot (make sure that plot has black, red, green colors and choose Copy Format: Color.

Then right click any white area in axis frame and paste format to paste the copy to all scatter plots.

Thanks, Snow
kelsiu Posted - 07/07/2016 : 11:11:29 AM
quote:

Hello,

But it looks in 8.6, there is no Increment for Shape so you can create a new column for shape indexing and then in 8.6, choose the column for each plot from the Shape dropdown list.

When copy format, only copy color and paste to other plots.

Seems I need to upgrade it later on. Before that I must solve this problem with my current version. I can't locate the shape dropdown list. Could you please show me how to index the shape in a column and add it to the dropdown list? And how to copy color and paste to other plots? Many thanks.

snowli Posted - 07/07/2016 : 09:46:11 AM
Hello,

I mean change the symbol color of 1st plot to be "Increment", also set Shape to be Increment.

But it looks in 8.6, there is no Increment for Shape so you can create a new column for shape indexing and then in 8.6, choose the column for each plot from the Shape dropdown list.

When copy format, only copy color and paste to other plots.

It's much easiser to do this in Origin 2016. Maybe you could consider upgrading.

Thanks, Snow
kelsiu Posted - 07/07/2016 : 02:50:22 AM
quote:

Hi Kelsiu,

You can highlight all Y columns and plot them.
Then double click Layer 1 icon to upgroup all plots.

Then double click one plot to open Plot Details.
Set Shape to be Incrementing.
Also set Color to be incrementing.

Thanks, Snow

Thanks a lot. I am trying to follow the procedure you suggested. After double click Layer 1 icon to upgroup all plots, I try to set shape to be Incrementing, but I have found that only color can be set to be incrementing. Like below:

I have ten data points for every size, does that mean I need to repeat the procedure ten times? Are there any method to copy the format for other sets of data, or copy the format to other graphs?

Thank you.
snowli Posted - 07/06/2016 : 11:30:56 AM
Hi Kelsiu,

You can highlight all Y columns and plot them.
Then double click Layer 1 icon to upgroup all plots.

Then double click one plot to open Plot Details.
Set Shape to be Incrementing.
Also set Color to be incrementing.

Note: In Origin 2016, you can also design all colors and shape increment.
Then you can copy the format of this customized plot and paste format to all plots.

All points of same size will have same shape and color.

To plot the mean of each size and do a linear fit. Again highlight all Y data and choose Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: Statistics on Rows. By default new columns will be added at the end of the worksheet with mean, sd, etc.
You can highlight this mean column and mouse over the right edge of the column to and drag it into Graph window to add the mean plot. Or double click Layer 1 icon in graph window and add the mean column from left to the right of the panel to add the plot.

Then use Analysis: Fitting: Linear Fit. Choose the mean column as input data to and do linear fit on mean data.

I also position the x axis ticks at the size position for easy reading.

BTW, the example you found is more like jitter plot, which Origin also supports. See for each size the data are not centered at the size position. It's a variants of box plot in Origin.
But first your data needs to be transposed. Then choose Plot: Scatter: Column Scatter. This plot type may not be available in 8.6 you use.

Thanks, Snow

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000