The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Extracting data from intersecting surface plots

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
deepakdinakaran Posted - 09/13/2016 : 07:18:47 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin Pro 2016, SR 2
Operating System: Windows 7

Hello,

I have data stored in two matrix data sets. The data sets differ by Z value and from these data sets, i have a graph with intersecting surface plot.

Problem: I would like to extract information concerning the interactions of surface plots. For example, I need the data points (x, y, z) at which the two surface plots intersect. Is there a way to do this in current Version ?

Thank you.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
deepakdinakaran Posted - 09/15/2016 : 03:15:05 AM
Thank you and i was able to extract the intersecting information with this method.
Hideo Fujii Posted - 09/13/2016 : 2:13:16 PM
Hi deepakdinakaran,

Though there are currently no direct way, you can do the following procedure to "extract" the intersection data from two surface plots:

1) Make the two matrices (say, MBook1 and MBook2) have the same dimensions and same XY ranges, if they are different.
To do so, choose "Analysis: Mathematics: 2D Interpolate/Extrapolate" menu.

See also Graph1.

2) In the Script window, make a new matrix (say, MBook3), and subtract one from the other of the input matrices,
e.g., MBook3=MBook2-MBook1;

We want to obtain Z data on the surface at the intersection's (x,y). See Graph2.

3) From the result matrix of 2), create a B/W line contour plot.

4) Right-click on the z=0 contour line, and select "Extract Contour Lines" flyout. This creates an XY worksheet of the
intersection (Book1).
(You may need the level interval of contours from Plot Details dialog to have a line which is exactly z=0.
See Graph3. Also, there might be more than one intersection segments. If so, you may aggregate them.)

5) Now we need to get the z values on the input surface at the xy positions in 4). To do so, first convert
one of the input matrix (either one) to xyz worksheet by "Matrix: Convert Worksheet" menu, then select
the option, Method=XYZ Columns. (Book2)

6) Using "Analysis: Mathematics: Interpolate Z from XY" menu using Book1 as the "XY Values to Interpolate",
and Book2 as the Input data, and output Z values into the new column (col(C)) in Book1. (You should decide
which interpolation method you use - in this sample TPS method.) This worksheet is the result. (Its plot is Graph4.)

I hope this method achieves what you wanted.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000