The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 X+Y error bars when plotting 2 lines in one graph

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arnoud Posted - 10/06/2016 : 09:50:18 AM
Hi all,

I have boiled my problem down to the following simple steps:

1. Open a new Origin worksheet
2. Column - Add New Columns - 4 new columns
3. Right-click B, set as X Error
4. Right-click D and F, set as Y Error
5. Add some simple dummy data to all columns
6. Plot - Line+Symbol - Line+Symbol
7. The X error bars now only appear on the first of the two lines. What is the most efficient way to get them on both lines? Surely there is a better way than making two new columns and copying all my X and Xerr values in there?

I am using OriginPro 2016 SR2 b9.3.2.203 Academic 64-bits on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bits SP1.

Thank you for any suggestions!
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arnoud Posted - 10/08/2016 : 07:45:19 AM
Thank you, this solved my problem. To anyone reading this: you may have to expand the Plot Setup window, by default it hides the top and middle panel. There is an expand button at the top right.
Hideo Fujii Posted - 10/07/2016 : 5:56:50 PM
Hi Arnoud,

The best tool for the complicated (I mean that you cannot rely on the column designations straightforwardly)
assignment of the dataset from various column location in a worksheet like your case is the Plot Setup dialog.

Here, you can try after making a plot without X error bars for the second Y plot (say column E from a
worksheet with A(X), B(XEr) C(Y), D(YEr), E(Y), F(YEr))at the 7th step in your procedure:

1) Right-click on the layer icon at the top left corner of the graph, and select "Plot Setup" flyout (or choose
"Graph: Setup" menu) to open Plot Setup dialog.

2) In the bottom panel of Plot Setup, pay attention only principal plot datasets (in your case, which have
Plot Type="Line+Symbol"), disregarding any error plots. So, choose the dataset of "A(X) E(Y)" to add the X error bars.

3) You notice that in the middle panel, xEr check box is not checked, so check xEr at column B;
this is what you wanted. Press "Replace" button on the middle panel.
Click OK, and you get the result.

Plot Setup dialog is one of the most complicated dialog, but once you get familiar with it, you would
realize its flexibility and the power: http://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/Plotting-using-Plot-Setup

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000