The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Precompiled originC functions?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jdf726 Posted - 05/08/2017 : 1:40:12 PM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin 2015
Operating System: Win 7

When I start up different 'instances' (if that is the right word) of Origin up to now I always have to recompile my originC functions, which means opening the code builder and hitting 'build all' in each of the origin windows I have open. I also have multiple machines running, so I have to do this on different machines with function definitions that need to be synchronised.

Life got simpler when I made a centralised 'workspace' file that I could open on any of the ~4-5 machines that I might be working on to compile, but I wish I could have the functions available from startup, not least because it would eliminate explaining this to other people that want to use the functions without running the code builder (breaking things!)

I just found that I could drag files from my network workspace into the User 'AUTOLOAD' folder on one machine and this seems to precompile them. This is nice but I ended up dragging the files one at a time (and I would have to do this on ~4 machines and if I change the function structures and do not update the files listed in the AUTOLOAD part of the workspace then the machines will not be identical anymore.

Is there a way to make sure that the AUTOLOAD files are the same as my network-defined workspace?
Can I 'compile a workspace' loaded from the network on startup?
This would be a great way of having other people share a common codebase because you don't have to think about which files are on which machine and where they have or have not been compiled.

jdf726
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chris D Posted - 05/09/2017 : 08:19:22 AM
Hi,

We'll explore and try to work out a solution for you that is most practical yet doable. In the mean time, if you will send an email to tech@originlab.com with a reference to this forum post, we can use email as it would be a more method to communicate our results. Please also include your Origin serial number and Origin version.

Thanks,
Chris Drozdowski
Originlab Technical Support
jdf726 Posted - 05/09/2017 : 04:24:00 AM
That is how it already is - I have all of the OC files centralised, and they are all listed in a centralised workspace file.

Presently I have to recompile the workspace for every origin window I open to make functions available, and as I might two machines on the go I might have quite a few origin windows, some of which I have compiled the functions in, and others not.

What I wanted to do is make sure that all of the functions are always available. Using AUTOLOAD seems to work, but I think it breaks the synchronisation that using one workspace file brings (if I add a new file, I have to add it to the AUTOLOAD on each machine).

Sometimes I want other people (students) to be able to use some code without having to explain to them that they have to compile it every time. If I modify the code I might want the change to be transparent to them (otherwise I have to explain how to add some new file to the AUTOLOAD on THEIR machine).

Can I issue a single command from labtalk to compile some functions?
As the script window remembers your previous commands, this would be easier than opening and closing the code builder.

jdf726

PS: I am a new user of the forum, should this be in the origin C forum?...
PPS: I also have a problem that 'Nth' origin window won't compile my workspace with something like a 'stack busy' error sometimes, so I cannot compile my functions in some windows!

cpyang Posted - 05/08/2017 : 9:24:38 PM
Why not just have the OC files on one location and then share and map that drive and on each machine to drag that network share to Autoload?

CP

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000