The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Link Axes Scales

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Natacha Posted - 06/02/2017 : 11:18:10 AM
Hello,

I am using OriginPro 9.1 and I would like to creat a second X axis (Top X) whose values are linked with the values of the bottom X so that :

Xtop = Xini / (Xini + 1/6)

with Xini the value of the bottom X.

I believe that I have to use the menu : Format/Layer Properties/Link Axes Scales
Could you please indicate me with which expression I have to fill the boxes for X1 and X2 ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Natacha Bourgeois

Natacha Bourgeois
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cool.maheshbansod Posted - 05/25/2024 : 01:14:29 AM
Dear Chao,

Thank you very much for your help. It worked so smoothly. I am happy.

quote:
Originally posted by ChaoC

Hello Manesh,

1. Create the scatter plot
2. Click the bottom X-axis to bring up the Mini toolbar and select Add Secondary Axis.
3. The Double X Type should be Functionally Mapped — Independent Ticks.
4. Direct Formula: (1000/x)-273
Inverse Formula: 1000/(x+273)

Please see:
https://blog.originlab.com/display-celsius-as-top-axis-in-arrhenius-plot
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Mini-Toolbar?f=dl#Axis_2

Best,
Chao

Regards,

Mahesh
ChaoC Posted - 05/24/2024 : 09:37:49 AM
Hello Manesh,

1. Create the scatter plot
2. Click the bottom X-axis to bring up the Mini toolbar and select Add Secondary Axis.
3. The Double X Type should be Functionally Mapped — Independent Ticks.
4. Direct Formula: (1000/x)-273
Inverse Formula: 1000/(x+273)

Please see:
https://blog.originlab.com/display-celsius-as-top-axis-in-arrhenius-plot
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Mini-Toolbar?f=dl#Axis_2

Best,
Chao
cool.maheshbansod Posted - 05/23/2024 : 10:33:14 PM
Hello,

I am using Origin 2023b and want to plot a graph having two X axes (X1 - bottom, and X2 - top) with one Y axis (-left). The values for the top X2 axis are related by the formula [(1000/X1)-273]. I have tried several ways posted on this forum, but unfortunately, it did not work for me.
I have tried two different ways:
1) SeparateLayerX2Axis:
I have plotted a scatter graph, added Top-X Righ-Y Layer -> X1 axis range: 1 to 1.78 -> Scale of X2 axis: 727 (exactly = 1 on low X1 axis) to 288.7977528 (exactly = 1.78 on high X1 axis). Major Ticks: Type-Custom positions, position: 700 600 500 400 300. However, the tick mark values on the Top X2 axis are not exactly related to the values on X1 axis.
2) Using Link Axes - Custom:
Plotted a scatter graph -> Add Top-X Right-Y Layer -> Format -> Layer -> TopXRightY -> "Link Axes Scales"-> Link to: "Layer 1" -> In 'Link Axes in Child Layer to Parent' -> Custom: X1 = X1, X2 = [(1000/X1)-273].
X2 Axes Layer 2: Scale - from 727 to 288.7977528, Major Ticks: Type - Custom positions, Position: 700 600 500 400 300.
Now, the values of X2 axis are not exactly related to the value on the X1 axis. There is a shift in the Top X2 axis at the high as well as low scale range, as compared to the X1 axis. Because the data values from low X1 to high X1 axis are at 700, 680, 660, 640,......320, and 300. However, the Top X2 axis values are not exactly as they should be.
Could you please suggest a solution on how to plot the correct Top X2 axis in "Origin 2023b.
You can find the project file in the attachment of this message.
Thank you in advance!

https://my.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/LinkAxesData.zip
I need the graph like below:

Regards,

Mahesh
Natacha Posted - 06/07/2017 : 08:08:19 AM
Dear Aviel,

Thank you very much for your clear explanations.
Everything works perfectly when following your instructions.

Again, thank you very much, it helps a lot.

Best regards,
Natacha

Natacha Bourgeois
arstern Posted - 06/06/2017 : 5:35:45 PM
Hi Natacha,

Theoretically you would set X1 = X1 + (X1 + (1/6)) and X2 = X2 + (X2 + (1/6)). However this step only works for linear equations. Therefore this will not work for your case.

See picture below, because the equation x/(x+(1/6)) is nonlinear, it does not set the corresponding values correctly for x-top axis.

Instead:
1) First plot graph (you will only need one layer).
2) Open the layer management by right clicking the number in the left corner of the graph and select Layer Management...

3) Select Axes and open the Top dropdown tab. Input the equation x/x+(1/6) into the formula box and Select Apply.

4) You may want to edit the significant digits for the top axis. Double click the axis and select Tick Labels. Input Custom for Display and edit the significant digits in Custom Format. The figure below also shows for version 9.4 where you can input the formula to set the x top axis to link with the x bottom axis.

For more information, the provided link is a blog post on how to make a double x graph:
http://blog.originlab.com/graphing/how-to-make-a-neat-double-x-graph

Thanks,
Aviel
OriginLab
Natacha Posted - 06/06/2017 : 03:37:03 AM
Dear Aviel,

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

> The Custom option customizes your x-axis range. Technically if you want to use the custom option, who you would need to input the initial x value from the bottom x-axis range as X1 and input the final x value from the bottom x-axis range as X2.

I am afraid I don't understand what is called "initial" and "final x value from the bottom x-axis".

With a given bottom x-axis I would like to create a second axis, which has the following Xt values :

Xt = Xb / (Xb + 1/6)

with Xb the value of the bottom x-axis.

I am trying to use the Custom option and I am wondering what I have to write in the boxes for X1 and X2 ?

X1 = ?
X2 = ?

> You may be able to do this in Origin 9.1. To customize your x-axis labels, you can also open the axis dialog box by double clicking the axis in the graph. Select Display and then input the expression x/(x+(1/6) in the Formula box. This will set the x top to your desired x values. Select the scale tab to specify your Major ticks.

I tried to use this method, however, I did not found the Formula box.
Please find as attachment a screenshot of the axis dialog box, after selecting Display.

I stay at your disposal for any further information and I thank you very much in advance for your information.

Best regards,
Natacha

Natacha Bourgeois
arstern Posted - 06/02/2017 : 4:33:16 PM
You may be able to do this in Origin 9.1. To customize your x-axis labels, you can also open the axis dialog box by double clicking the axis in the graph. Select Display and then input the expression x/(x+(1/6) in the Formula box. This will set the x top to your desired x values. Select the scale tab to specify your Major ticks.

Aviel
OriginLab
arstern Posted - 06/02/2017 : 4:04:45 PM
Hi,

To link the the bottom and top axis. Yes select the Link Axes Scales tab. Next select straight (1 to 1) to align the top and bottom x-axis.

The Custom option customizes your x-axis range. Technically if you want to use the custom option, who you would need to input the initial x value from the bottom x-axis range as X1 and input the final x value from the bottom x-axis range as X2.

Thanks,
Aviel
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000