The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Two y-axis scatter plot one dot

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Frederikbk Posted - 07/26/2017 : 10:46:36 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:

Hey. Is it possible to make a two y-axis scatter plot with one dot at each point instead of two?
Meaning is it possible to correct the y-axis so they merge.
here is a picture of the two point situation -

Thank you.

Frederik Bojsen Kværndrup
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hideo Fujii Posted - 07/26/2017 : 6:05:22 PM
Hi Frederikbk,

As Aviel wrote above, if the gaps are arbitrary, you cannot plot the second dataset in proper (e.g., linear) scale.
(If their relationship are mathematically definable, you can either set the scale type itself to "Custom Formula",
or set the conversion "formula" for the tick labels)

So, only way is to put the second scale "based on your data". Could you please try the following?
1) Make a plot from the first Y dataset as usual. Set the major scale on the left axis as you like. (20, 30, ..., 110 in the sample below)
2) Make another worksheet from your two Y datasets (B(Y) and C(Y)), and designate as A(X) and B(Y),
make the third column(C(X)), and enter the major tick values (20, 30, ..., 110) there.
3) Run "Analysis: Math: Interpolate/Extrapolate Y from X" to get the interpolated values for C(X) in the fourth column.
4) Make the second layer to the graph ("Graph: New Layer: Bottom X Right Y"), which has the same From and To values in scale.
5) In Axis dialog, choose "Tick Labels" tab, "Display" subtab, Type="Tick-indexed dataset", and Dataset Name=dataset D.

Hope this works.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Frederikbk Posted - 07/26/2017 : 5:57:41 PM
Thank you for the reply.

I did not think it was possible either.

Thanks for the help and it's a great program!

Frederik Bojsen Kværndrup
arstern Posted - 07/26/2017 : 12:37:20 PM
Hi,

You can only align the two scatter plots if the increment between two data points are the same. Then you scale the axis so that they align.

For example see figure below. In Column B, the data points are of increments of 10, while in Column C the data points are of increments of 0.3. Then I set the left axis to start at first value (10) and end at last value (100) and increase by increments of 10. I set right axis to start at first value 0.1 and end at last value 2.8 with increments of 0.3.

If one of the data points in the Y column does not increase or decrease by the same increment, then you will not be able to align the graphs.
See in figure below, I set Row 2 Column C as 0.6 so that now there is an increase of 0.5 between row 1 and row 2 and an increase of 0.1 between row 2 and row 3 in column C. You can see in the graph that the two scatter plots cannot be aligned anymore.

Another way that your two scatter plots can align is if both sets of data increase and decrease by the same percent.

By looking at your data from the graph, it does not seem you will be able to align the two graphs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Aviel
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000