The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Problem with fitting data

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Superlativeguy Posted - 08/02/2017 : 5:16:36 PM
Hello,

I installed Origin 9.1 and have been learning the ropes. I entered data and generated some graphs. When I go to fit the data, however, I am having some issues. When I select a fit from the fitting tab under analytics, I get a dialogue them box that says "Function is empty. Please specify it to continue." This happens for any type of fit I use. It seems like I can't access any of the preloaded fdf files. Has anyone ever had this problem before? If yes, how can I fix it?

Thanks!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Superlativeguy Posted - 08/04/2017 : 5:22:37 PM
Hey Chris!

Thanks for that advice! It worked! Appreciate the help!
Chris D Posted - 08/04/2017 : 2:23:44 PM
Hi,

The problem is that the top panel of the dialog is hidden due to a dialog sizing issue. This is how to fix it:

1. See the two little buttons on the far right of the dialog with up and down arrows?
2. Click the bottom one to hide the bottom panel of the dialog.
3. Now move you mouse over to the bottom edge of the dialog until the cursor changes to one that lets you resize the dialog bigger vertically. Make it bigger.
! This should make the top panel larger and it's contents visible (though there may be a scroll bar in the panel).
4. Now click the little arrow button again to make the bottom panel visible again.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chris Drozdowski
Originlab Technical Support
Superlativeguy Posted - 08/03/2017 : 6:41:52 PM
Hi Aviel,

Yeah, sorry about the image being grainy. I couldn't get it under the 200kb limit without making it like that.

I do agree that there appears to be something wrong with the interface. I tried both of your suggestions, but neither of them worked.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of issue with the installation? Would it be worth it for me to uninstall and reinstall Origin?

Thanks!
arstern Posted - 08/03/2017 : 2:28:27 PM
Hi,

The image is blurry, but from what I can see it seems that your dialog does not appear to have the correct interface. Could you please try Snowli's suggestion from the Forum post on 6/11/2015?

"From your Start menu, run regedit.exe to open your Registry Editor of your OS.
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OriginLab\Origin 9.1\InternationalExpand Dialogs folder.
Right click Non-linear Fitting folder and choose Delete.
Restart Origin. Nonlinear Curve Fitting dialog should show default location and size.

You should be able to see the top panel. Go to Settings tab.
Function Selection.
Choose Category (where your function is in) from Category dropdown list
Choose a function from Function dropdown list.

If this doesn't work, close Origin and go to registry editor again. Delete the whole Dialogs folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OriginLab\Origin 9.1\International"

-Aviel
OriginLab
Superlativeguy Posted - 08/03/2017 : 1:30:51 PM
Here you are:

arstern Posted - 08/03/2017 : 10:54:24 AM
Hi,

Could you please provide a screenshot of the dialog with the error message?

Also please take a look at this Forum post to see if this helps:
http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19715

Thanks,
Aviel
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000