The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 transparency in plots with multiple layers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bwelter Posted - 05/13/2005 : 04:44:39 AM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7
Operating System:Windows 2000 SP4

Hello everybody,

Sorry, this was at first posted in the wrong forum, I hope, this time it is the right one...
I'm referring to an older posting of 'rak' (2001?). Just like in this case, I try to stack multiple layers in a way that the parts of the axis and data of the lower layers that are covered by higher layers can't be seen. All Background colors are set to white, but this does not help. Still all axis are visible which makes the plot rather confusing. In your answer to this old posting, you suggested either to wait for Origin 7 or to use a layout page.
1) I use Origin 7 but I can't find the announced option tho hide any data/axes
2) With the help of a layout page, I succeed in creating the plot I wanted, but when this layout page is exported to pdf the result is strange (either the layers have moved or there is to much of empty space around the layers, although I have set the Option "Margin Control" to "Tight"

As stacking plots is extremely usefull when preparing plots for publications with limited space, I'd be very gratefull for any advice

Thanks in advance

Bettina
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lebecki1 Posted - 10/26/2005 : 01:45:31 AM
Hi Mike,
Both work-around work well, but the second seems 'elegant' for me!
Regards, Chris

Chris M. Lebecki
(J.K. is just my boss and the license owner)
Mike Posted - 10/25/2005 : 10:31:51 AM
I should note that there is another possible workaround in situations where there is a discrepancy between what appears in the graph window and what is seen in Print Preview or in the printout. Sometimes going to the Print dialog box (File:Print) and selecting Enable color as gray scale will resolve the problem. This worked for me in this case (I don't know whether it will work for you or not).

If Enable color as gray scale is already checked, try clearing it before printing.

I can't give a rational explanation for this but it does sometimes work.

Mike
OriginLab

Mike Posted - 10/25/2005 : 09:47:13 AM
Hi Chris:

I see your problem. We will need to look into this to try to understand who or what is to blame.

In the meantime, I think I can suggest a simple workaround that should solve both of your problems -- (1) the grid-line "show through" problem and (2) the need to white out the areas behind your inset tick labels:
  1. Make sure Layer 1 is active, then go to your Tools toolbar and select the Rectangle tool.
  2. Drag out a rectangle around the inset layer, including the tick labels.
  3. Select the rectangle object, right click and choose Properties.
  4. Set the Border Color to White and the Fill Pattern Fill Color to White and click OK.

Let us know if this doesn't work for you.

Mike
OriginLab

Lebecki1 Posted - 10/25/2005 : 02:59:42 AM
Hi everybody,

May I continue this topic? I want to address all problems described here in slightly a different environment (see versions below).
I did everything you described here with that exception I switched "grid lines on".
In such a case "overlapping"(transparency) is even more annoying, you agree ;)
PDF export works well and the "graph on the screen" looks also good. It means there is no overlapping. But, when I start to print it: overlapping appears. Is it a bug? (Related for instance to printer driver).

Second small question: is it possible to mark the tick labels on the inset picture as "white out" (as we can do with text control). To prevent their overlapping with grid lines from the "background" layer.

SW version: 7.5 SR5 (v7.5870 B870)
Os version: 5.0 (build 2195: SP4) (Windows 2000).

Regards, Chris Lebecki

Chris M. Lebecki
(J.K. is just my boss and the license owner)
bwelter Posted - 05/13/2005 : 10:25:43 AM
Hello Mike,

thanks a lot. I have always set the background to 'white' and wondered why this did not work. Now I know I missed the second step.
Thanks again

Bettina
Mike Posted - 05/13/2005 : 09:19:13 AM
Hi Bettina,

If I understand correctly, you wish to overlap graphs but you do not want the axes/data from plots "in back" to show through the "top" layer. What you'll have to do is to open the Plot Details dialog box and set the background of the top layer to White. Then at the Graph (Page) level in Plot Details (Format:Page), choose the Miscellaneous tab and enable Draw layer by layer.

The PDF export was improved for Origin 7.5, but if you are using an older version, you can make use of the OriginLab Graph Export Server.

Mike
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000