The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Par. Init. Code in User-Defined F(x)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
palmieri2 Posted - 01/04/2018 : 2:15:05 PM
Hello!

I am trying to create a parameter initialization code for my user-defined function (aka the Avrami equation):

y=1-e^((-k*x)^n)

I converted the equation to the linear form:

ln(ln(1/(1-y))) = ln(k) + nln(x)

Then, following the PI help guide, created the following code:

{

sort( x_y_curve );
Dataset dx;
x_y_curve.AttachX(dx);
dx = ln(x);
x_y_curve = ln(ln(1/(1- x_y_curve ));
vector coeff(2);
fitpoly(x_data, y_data, 1, coeff);
k = exp( coeff[0] );
n = coeff[1];

}

The code compiles without any errors, but I think the 1 in my y definition is causing some issues with the definition of the parameters. Help appreciated!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
palmieri2 Posted - 01/10/2018 : 12:44:38 PM
Hello,

I have been working in Origin 8, but have access to Origin 2017. The problem I am having in Origin 2017 is that I cannot use both the code I have already generated for initializing n and k while also using a built-in function to determine A. I may be wrong, but I do not think the built-in functions can help me determine n and k which are derived from the linear form of my model equation. This would then require that I define A using code.

Additionally, the yatxmax function isn't quite what I'm looking for. I need the extrapolated y value of the horizontal asymptote that my curve approaches at very large values of x. It is impractical for me to acquire data at these extremes, so I need to extrapolate the value.

Thank you for your continued help everyone!

-Paige
snowli Posted - 01/09/2018 : 4:32:23 PM
Hello Paige,

Which version of Origin are you using?
Since Origin 2017, we provide some pre-defined formula for parameter initialization so user doesn't have to write code.
E.g. When defining a fitting function, i can choose "Y at X Max" to initialize parameter A to be Y value at max X.

Also see this blog
http://blog.originlab.com/data-analysis/use-initial-formula-to-better-guess-fitting-parameter-values-from-data

Thanks, Snow

quote:
Originally posted by palmieri2

Hi,

The equation is the one Castiel mentioned.

I do have one additional question: I would like to add a parameter A so my new equation is y=A*(1-exp(-k*x^n)) where A = y when x approaches infinity.

I think my best bet is to use the initialization function Curve_yfromX to extrapolate a value for A given a very large value of x (say 10,000), but I am having issues initializing this parameter.

My code for that step is: A = Curve_yfromX( x_y_curve ,10000);

Advice here? Thank you again for your help! I apologize for that silly mistake and the extra work you did because of it.

-Paige
palmieri2 Posted - 01/09/2018 : 3:16:11 PM
Hi,

The equation is the one Castiel mentioned.

I do have one additional question: I would like to add a parameter A so my new equation is y=A*(1-exp(-k*x^n)) where A = y when x approaches infinity.

I think my best bet is to use the initialization function Curve_yfromX to extrapolate a value for A given a very large value of x (say 10,000), but I am having issues initializing this parameter.

My code for that step is: A = Curve_yfromX( x_y_curve ,10000);

Advice here? Thank you again for your help! I apologize for that silly mistake and the extra work you did because of it.

-Paige
yuki_wu Posted - 01/08/2018 : 9:23:17 PM
Hi Paige,

You better check which equation is the user-defined function you desired at first. Is the original equation you posted or the one Castiel mentioned? If it is the original one, you can set a bound to make sure k < 0.

More info about fitpoly function:
https://www.originlab.com/doc/OriginC/ref/Fitpoly-GlobalFunction

Regards,
Yuki
OriginLab
Castiel Posted - 01/08/2018 : 8:45:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by palmieri2

I am trying to create a parameter initialization code for my user-defined function (aka the Avrami equation):

y=1-e^((-k*x)^n)

That is NOT Avrami equation. Have a try of this:
y = 1 - e^(-k * x^n)

#####
    #### _\_  ________
    ##=-[.].]| \      
    #(    _\ |  |------|
     #   __| |  ||||||||
      \  _/  |  ||||||||
   .--'--'-. |  | ____ |
  / __      `|__|[o__o]|
_(____nm_______ /____\____ 
palmieri2 Posted - 01/08/2018 : 1:48:57 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry, I don't think that is correct. All of the sources I can find say the linear form should be as I've listed it. Plus, you cannot have a log of a negative number as you have in your transformation.

Could you please tell me more about the coeff and fitpoly commands in my code? I'm not sure that I have built that part of the code properly for my particular function.

Best,
Paige
yuki_wu Posted - 01/08/2018 : 01:16:41 AM
Hi,

I just found you made a mistake in the transformation:
The equation should be transformed as:
ln(ln(1-y)) = n ln(-k) + n ln(x)
So the code should be modified:

{
sort( x_y_curve );
Dataset dx;
x_y_curve.AttachX(dx);
dx = ln(dx);
x_y_curve = ln(ln(1- x_y_curve));
vector coeff(2);
fitpoly(x_data, y_data, 1, coeff);
n = coeff[1];
k = -exp( coeff[0]/n );
}

Regards,
Yuki
OriginLab
palmieri2 Posted - 01/05/2018 : 09:20:46 AM
Hi Yuki,

I'm sorry for the lack of clarity.

The fit does not converge with my dataset and the code's output values for k and n are not what I'd expect (looking for n ~ 3 and k ~ 0.015 but I'm getting n ~ 0.66 and k ~ 7*10^-7).
yuki_wu Posted - 01/04/2018 : 9:48:55 PM
Hi,
I am sorry that I cannot understand your question fully.
You said the code compiles without any errors, so anything else wrong? Are the fit results not good?

Regards,
Yuki
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000