The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Drag and drop stopped working

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ringman7677 Posted - 07/21/2005 : 09:26:18 AM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5 SR5
Operating System:XP Pro

I can not drag and drop ASCII file into spreadsheet. I get the plus icon that shows it should work but nothing happens, no error message, no nothing.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mike Buess Posted - 01/16/2006 : 08:19:56 AM
If the file name has an extension you can do this... http://www.nmrtools.com/labtalk/i_assoc.html

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
xuli Posted - 01/15/2006 : 11:26:18 PM
do not performed a drag-and-drop import file,but double clicked filename in the explore,how can i import file??
Mike Posted - 08/03/2005 : 1:32:06 PM
Hi ringman7677:

I've got your file and it seems to import just fine (Origin 7.5 SR5). I did a page-by-page run with the Import Wiz, saved an OIF file to the data folder and then performed a drag-and-drop import of the same data file -- no problems.

If you are in a hurry to re-install the software, I'd say go ahead ( I'm generally disinclined to advise that because it doesn't uncover the real problem). If you can wait a bit, I'd like to have someone else look at this with me.

Thanks,
Mike
OriginLab
ringman7677 Posted - 08/03/2005 : 12:49:53 PM
I sent file
Thanks
Mike Posted - 07/29/2005 : 09:17:08 AM
Hi ringman7677,

This is a puzzle. Would it be possible for you to send this file to us? I don't think that it is the file, but that would allow us to eliminate that possibility.

If you can do this, please send it to tech@originlab.com and put "Attention:Easwar or Mike, Urgent" in the subject line. I'll let them know to look for it. Thanks.

Mike
OriginLab
ringman7677 Posted - 07/29/2005 : 08:51:43 AM
Easwar

My import filter has been set to <none> and import still does not work......
easwar Posted - 07/25/2005 : 11:52:04 AM
Hi,

1> Try importing the file using "Simple Single ASCII" option in the File->Import menu or by clicking the button to the right of the Imp Wiz button in the Standard toolbar - the one that says "Import ASCII". This does the same as 6.1 import. Does this work for your file?

2> When importing the file using the wizard, on the very first page, what does the filter drop-down at the bottom of this first page say? If it is pointing to some filter that should not be used for this file, try setting that drop-down to none and see if that works. If this works, try saving a filter for this file and then try drag-and-drop again. Note that if there are multiple filters applicable to the file you will get a dialog that asks you to pick the right filter when you drag-and-drop.

Easwar
OriginLab

Edited by - easwar on 07/25/2005 11:53:40 AM

Edited by - easwar on 07/25/2005 11:55:01 AM
ringman7677 Posted - 07/25/2005 : 11:43:55 AM
Well, things are not going to well. My data files are ascii with DAT extension and I do not have OnOpenDAT section in the DOFILE.OGS file. Even if I try and import this ascii file starting with the wizard, the 'source' window is ok. The 'Header Lines' window is OK and is showing my data. The 'Headers Variable' window seems OK. But when I get to the 'Data Columns' window I can not get anything to show up no matter what I do.

As a side, this file is going into my old version of Origin 6.1 just fine.

Do I need to reinstall anything. Do I maybe have a corrupt OGS or OIF file?
Mike Posted - 07/22/2005 : 4:27:55 PM
ringman7677, I have a feeling that Mike Buess' hunch is correct (that an OnOpen section in your DOFILE.OGS is short-circuiting the Import Wizard). If you get that straigtened out, you should -- as mentioned -- run through the Wizard once with a representative data file and save the filter (OIF) to the folder that will contain your data. Then you'll be able to drag-and-drop, again.

A hint: if your file extension is a common one (.DAT, for instance), use the "*" wildcard character to narrow the possible files to which the OIF applies. This would be particularly important if you store, say, other DAT files of with a different structure in the same folder. This is discussed in topic = Worksheet Data > The Import Wizard > Import Wizard, Save Filters Page.

Origin's ASCII import is very flexible, but trying to understand all permutations can give you a serious case of vertigo (probably would be better documented with a flow-chart). But, if you are looking for detailed info on drag-and-drop, see Worksheet Data > Importing Data into a Worksheet Window > Origin's Drag-and-Drop Data File Support for Worksheets.

Recall, too, that you can get help at any point in the Import Wizard by pressing F1.

Mike
OriginLab
Mike Buess Posted - 07/22/2005 : 1:50:47 PM
What extension does the file have? It's possible that DOFILE.OGS has a script section for that extension that's blocking the Import Wizard. Find DOFILE.OGS (look both on your User path and the program path) and open it in CodeBuilder or Notepad. If your file has a DAT extension (for example) look for a section called OnOpenDAT. If you find one rename it OldOnOpenDAT, save and try drag and drop again.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
ringman7677 Posted - 07/22/2005 : 1:26:25 PM
Thanks, I had thought on earlier versions that all I had to do was drag the ascii file to the empty worksheet and it would import or start the wizard. I dragged to the taskbar in 7.5 and the wizard started.

In this case I have not created an OIF file and the wizard does not start when I drop into worksheet

Edited by - ringman7677 on 07/22/2005 1:28:21 PM
Mike Posted - 07/21/2005 : 10:02:08 AM
Hi ringman7677

It isn't clear to me exactly what you are doing. The way Origin 7.5 works, you either (1) need to have modified your DOFILE.OGS so that Origin recognizes and properly handles whatever file extension this file has (DAT, TXT, CSV, etc) or (2) you need to create an Origin Import Filter (OIF) file using the Import Wizard. When you create that OIF you should save it to the folder where your data files are stored. Then, you will be able to drag and drop your file into Origin and have it import into either a new worksheet or the existing worksheet (depending upon your OIF settings).

What is puzzling to me is that if you dropped a file onto either the Origin workspace or the Origin worksheet, and you had not already created an OIF for the file, then the Import Wizard should open. I assume that when you drag the file to the taskbar, you are waiting until the Origin workspace is restored before you drop the file?

Mike
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000