The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Import filenames containing "-"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
g4danny Posted - 09/21/2005 : 1:29:16 PM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5 Pro
Operating System: Win XP Home

Hi,

I have a problem similar to a thread from 2003 here named "Long Filenames > 14 chars". When we import a file with "-" characters in the filename, Origin names the worksheet by omitting these characters. Some w.s. names of differently named data files become the same.

Does the procedure posted in the "Long Filenames ..." thread work on this problem too, without a modification? I prefer to use delimiters (non-alphanumeric characters) in filenames and that presents a problem in Origin. Is there any elegant way to tell Origin not to change the name containing these chars, when putting it in the window title?

Thanks a lot!
Daniel
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mike Buess Posted - 09/21/2005 : 2:25:24 PM
Hi Daniel,

There have been several topics about long file names. I can't find the one you are referring to and don't know what procedure was discussed. The easiest way to preserve the file name is to put it in the worksheet's label (which has fewer limitations than does the name) and use generic names. How to accomplish that depends on your import method (Import Wizard, ASCII Import, custom script, etc.) Standard ASCII Import method is easiest to explain...

1. Open a new worksheet.
2. Select Tools > Worksheet Script.
3. Check the Run Script Automatically after Import option and enter this script...

page.label$=%A;
page.title=3;

4. Click the Update button to close dialog.
5. Select File > Import > ASCII Options.
6. Click the Other Options button.
7. Uncheck the Rename Worksheet to Data File Name option and click OK.
8. Click the Update Options button to close the ASCII Options dialog.
9. Right-click on the worksheet window's title bar and select Save Template.

From now on your data will import to worksheets with generic names (Data1, Data2, etc) and labels that contain the data file name.

...Finally found the topic you cited and it looks like I suggested the same approach there. Yes, it also works in Origin 7.5.

http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2433

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 09/21/2005 3:43:36 PM

Edited by - Mike Buess on 09/21/2005 4:26:21 PM

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000