The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Chi Square

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
srira Posted - 09/24/2005 : 1:17:52 PM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 6.1
Operating System:XP
Hi

I would like to know about the chi sq values.For eg, I fit a curve using NLSF with 4 parameters, so the degrees of freedom is 4. From the chi sq table, the value varies between 4.11(prob.=.25) to 17.73 (prob.=.0005).Hence reduced chi sq. (one gets from origin fitting) varies between 1.03 to 4.4325. Can this be taken as the limits for curve fitting with 4 parameters?What would be the optimum value of chi sq. one has to look for?

Sometime though there are 4 parameters, the optimization is done by fixing any 2 paramaters.Can this be taken as usage of only 2 degrees of freedom?

Thanks!
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mike Buess Posted - 09/24/2005 : 3:39:02 PM
The number of degrees of freedom is defined as the number of data points minus the number of fitting parameters. I don't believe that fixed parameters are included in the parameter count but am not entirely sure. If you have many more data points than parameters it doesn't really matter.

Help > Origin > Curve Fitting > The Nonlinear Least Square Fitter > Before you start: The Chi-Square Minimization

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000