The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Help needed in multiple gaussian fit (IPSCs)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zaza_DG Posted - 10/02/2005 : 5:27:54 PM
Hi folks,

I am trying to fit distribution of rise time of synaptic currents (mIPSCs). I import single column of rise times in Origin spread sheet and perform frequency distribution, which yields X and Y columns. I build bar graph from these columns and then press
quote:
FIT MULTIPLE GAUSSAN
. I am having difficulty to figure out how many peaks I need to choose. In most recordings it can be analyzed with either 2 or 3 peaks. How do you judge how many peaks you have? In a separate question, do you use the value initial half wide estimate that is already there, or you enter it manually?. And finally, what does w1, w2 etc. mean? I guess xc means peak of each gaussian. What is difference between no weighting and weighting? Many thanks for your time
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
easwar Posted - 10/03/2005 : 1:36:00 PM
Hi,

quote:

I am having difficulty to figure out how many peaks I need to choose. In most recordings it can be analyzed with either 2 or 3 peaks. How do you judge how many peaks you have?

You will need to use some criterion to decide how many peaks to fit with. If the peaks are not clearly visible in the data, you may need to use some other technique to locate where they are (such as they could be hidden in the shoulder of another peak etc). We have a Peak Fitting Module that may be more appropriate for such fitting.

quote:

In a separate question, do you use the value initial half wide estimate that is already there, or you enter it manually?.

The estimate that Origin comes up with should be fine. The iterative procedure will freely vary width for each peak and it should converge to optimal value for each peak. This of course depends on the data and how clearly separated the peaks are etc.

quote:

And finally, what does w1, w2 etc. mean? I guess xc means peak of each gaussian.

w1, w2 are width parameter of the gaussian. In the Origin gaussian function, w corresponds to 2 * sigma

quote:

What is difference between no weighting and weighting?

Weighting is typically used when you have error associated with the data/measurement. In order to utilize weighting, you will need to use the NLSF tool or the PFM

Easwar
OriginLab

[/quote]

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000