The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Lognormal parameters

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
b.harris Posted - 10/10/2005 : 12:02:40 AM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5
Operating System: XP

I am needing a little clarification regarding the meaning of the parameters for the lognormal equation.

From the sample curve, it appears that xc is the mode, w the width, and A the value of the mode above y0 (the baseline). However after running this equation several times, and looking at the formula from other sources I gather this is not quite right?

By my reckoning:
y0 = offset of baseline
w = sqrt of variance (Standard Dev)- a measure of width
xc = median (not the mode or mean)
and A = The area under the curve if y0 = zero (which can be demonstrated by integrating the curve using the analysis -> calculus -> integrate)

Is this correct??

Many thanks

Ben
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kvidovic Posted - 06/08/2022 : 02:55:40 AM
Hi,

I am also struggling with these parameters. So if I am understood it correctly, xc splits the distribution in two half's. Than xc represents the median or the geometric mean?

If not can you please explain how to calculate the median or geometric mean from xc.

Thank you.

k.v
Leo_Li Posted - 10/10/2005 : 01:44:21 AM
Hello b.harris,

You're right. The expression of Origin's Log-normal function is fine but the meanings of xc and w are mis-leading.

i) xc, this parameter doesn't correspond to the Y maximum. The reason is that Log-normal is asymmetric peak function. xc corresponds to the peak center when the Log-normal is approximately symmetric (when w is small). In another word, xc is the "distorted" peak center.

ii) w, this is an asymmetric factor. The peak will be approximately symmetric when w is small.

iii) In some literature, xc and w are also called "mean" and 'standard deviation" respectively. (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log-normal_distribution )

Leo

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000