The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Manual Spline

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jamie147 Posted - 10/11/2005 : 4:51:31 PM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5
Operating System: Windows XP

Hi there.

I have a dataset in which the overall trend, although complex, varies rather smoothly. The variation is too complicated for a polynomial fit and the level of noise makes using the 'spline' or B-spline' lines to connect the points look silly.

All I really want to do is draw a smooth curve through the data which will serve as a 'guide to the eyes' for the reader. Ideally I'm looking for the 'curved line' function found in amongst the drawing tools in Microsoft Word. Is there any feature in Origin which will permit this kind of 'manual spline'?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hideo Fujii Posted - 10/12/2005 : 10:48:27 AM
Another possibility - Have you also tried the Median Filter?:
http://www.originlab.com/FileExchange/details.aspx?fid=83
--Hideo
OriginLab

easwar Posted - 10/12/2005 : 09:32:23 AM
Hi,

Can you post an image of what you have done with MS Word? You can just click the "Insert Image" button in the toolbar when editing your post and then point to a file on disk an upload it.

Once we see an image, we may be able to better understand and come up with some alternate suggestion. You should not have to resort to using Word for this.

Easwar
OriginLab

Jamie147 Posted - 10/11/2005 : 6:15:52 PM
Thanks Easwar.

The 'freehand draw' tool doesn't really do the trick as, somewhat einevitably, the resulting line is never quite as smooth as I would like.

I've also already tried the data smoothing option, but this still results in 'kinking' in the interconnecting line (much like the problem I had with the B-spline).

I can achieve what I want by using the 'copy page' option and pasting the graph into Microsoft Word, before utilising the 'curve draw' tool offered by Word. Having drawn the curve I desire, I can then copy and past it back into Origin. It's a bit long-winded, but it seems that I have no choice as Origin appears to be incapable of helping me on this occasion :(

...unless ofcourse you have another strategy up your sleeve?
easwar Posted - 10/11/2005 : 4:58:15 PM
Hi,

The Tools toolbar does have a freehand draw tool (last button) which can be used to manually draw a curve, and the points can be further edited by clicking and selecting etc.

But a better approach may be for you to try the Analysis->Smoothing menu item and select a method such as Adjacent Averaging and specify a suitable number for the number of points. This will create a smooth curve that represents the data.

Easwar
OriginLab

Edited by - easwar on 10/11/2005 4:58:49 PM

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000