The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Problem with eps exporting and greek symbols

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
prime Posted - 11/02/2005 : 12:16:04 PM
Origin Version: OriginPro7.5 SR5
Operating System: Windows XP

I am having difficulty with exporting a graph to an eps file. To put it as simple as possible, if I use "outline fonts" or "substitution table" options for embedding fonts, I am losing the Greek symbols. If I use "built-in fonts," the Greek symbols are there and the eps graph prints fine, but when I convert a document containing the eps graphs to pdf the fonts look terrible, like Courier is being used instead of Arial, etc. For publication purposes, I need an eps file that will eventually convert well to pdf.

To check if it was local to my machine, I uploaded an OGG file to the Origin Graph Export Server and got back an eps file with the greek symbols missing.

I searched on these issues, and everything I found seems to indicate that the problem should have been gone by release 7.5.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BMGT Posted - 11/29/2005 : 10:29:54 AM
I also have problem exporting the file to .eps. I got around it by doing
1) File --> Print
2) Choose Acrobat Distiller, then type filename.eps in Save PDF File As dialog box.

Hope this works for you.
Thanks,
Alex

Edited by - BMGT on 11/29/2005 10:35:06 AM
prime Posted - 11/02/2005 : 8:20:38 PM
Hello Easwar,

I have re-examined my problem. Indeed, the MS Word preview of the eps graphic does not show the greek symbols, but creating a pdf file from the Word document does indeed gave good pdf output with the greek symbols showing correctly. That should be sufficient for my purposes, so I consider the problem solved.

However, try printing your Word document with the embedded eps directly to a printer. For me, not only are the greek symbols missing in the preview, but they do not print either.

Thanks for all the help,
Mike

easwar Posted - 11/02/2005 : 1:53:43 PM
Hi Mike,

I do see in your original post that you sent an OGG file to graph export server and that did not work for you...so I suggest sending that OGG file to tech support and then pointing to this forum post in your message.

Thanks,

Easwar
OriginLab

easwar Posted - 11/02/2005 : 1:52:25 PM
Hi Mike,

I tried in version 7.5SR5 and all worked fine for me.

First of all, even if you turn off TIFF preview in the EPS export dialog in Origin, looks like Word generates some kind of preview (at least latest MS Word) and that preview does not show greek characters on screen inside Word when the EPS was exported using outline or substitution. Shows okay when using built-in, but still Word preview is not in high resolution and things may not look good inside Word.

I then tried all three settings and used Adobe Distiller printer driver to print from Word, and in all three cases I got good PDF output with the greek font showing correctly.

I suggest you call tech support to discuss what may be the issue with your particular situation/settings.

Easwar
OriginLab

prime Posted - 11/02/2005 : 12:45:38 PM
Hello Easwar,

If I export to pdf, the graph does look fine and the Greek symbols are there. Unfortunately, that is not an acceptable format for me to submit the graphic file for publication.

What I was describing originally was embedding the eps file in a MS Word document. Then the Greek letters were missing if I printed it or converted the Word document to pdf using Acrobat.

Mike

easwar Posted - 11/02/2005 : 12:32:47 PM
Hi Mike,

Version 7.5 has PDF export for graphs and layout pages. Did you try that? Or are you taking the EPS and embedding in some other application and then making the PDF with other stuff added to the document?

Also, what is the application you are using to view the EPS file in the first place? And if you are embedding EPS in some other application and making PDF from there, what is that application that you are using?

Easwar
OriginLab

Edited by - easwar on 11/02/2005 12:34:32 PM

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000