The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Using Origin for variance-mean analysis

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zaza_DG Posted - 11/16/2005 : 1:55:12 PM
I am trying to find out probability of release of a transmitter in a central GABAergic synapse. I am wondering if anyone uses Origin to perform variance-mean analysis of amplitude of synaptic currents to construct parabola and find out P (according to method of John Clements).
If you know how to do this kind of analysis with Origin, please email me at zm5e@virginia.edu. I will greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Zaza

University of Virginia
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
minimax Posted - 11/17/2005 : 05:07:48 AM
Hi Zaza,

Currently, Origin does not directly provide the variance-mean analysis tool. However, I notice that the analysis is based on a simple parabola (y = A*x - B*x^2) fitting. Hence , you could perform the analysis by hand.

1.Firstly, supporse that you have calculated out the variances and means of amplitude under different release probability conditions.

2. Use NLSF tool to fit the user-defined parabola function: y = A*x - B*x^2, where y represnets variance of amplitude of synaptic currents, and x represents mean amplitude.

3. Use estimated parameters A and B to calculate desirable parameters:
3.1) The average amplitude Qav = A/(1 + c.v.^2).
3.2) The average probability Pr = (B/A)*(1 + c.v.^2).
3.3) The lower limit number of measurements Nmin = 1/B.
where c.v. is the coefficient of variation of the amplitude.

Note: Since here I can not find out the original article form John Clements, the above formulas maybe have slight mistakes. If you are familiar with it, just correct it and let me know.

Max
OriginLab GZoffice

Edited by - minimax on 11/17/2005 05:10:06 AM

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000