The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 A strange error-bar problem.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Craters Posted - 12/13/2005 : 10:45:16 PM
Origin Version: 7.5 SR5
Operating System: XP Pro

Hi, Gang --

I have a scatter plot with four datasets, to which I just tried adding a fifth dataset and the error bars to go with it. I have the error values in a separate column of my worksheet, which I've designated as the error values. Everything looks very good -- the error bars are there, just like they're supposed to be, centered on each data point of the fifth dataset, EXCEPT that the vertical "stem" leading to the lower error bar of each point starts well below the bottom of the data symbol, so it doesn't give the appearance of being overlapped by the symbol itself as it should be (and indeed IS for the upper error bars -- tey look great). Looks pretty tacky. This is a semilog plot, by the way, with a Y linear axis.

When I first plotted this dataset, it automatically went to squares as the symbol type, which I changed to point-up triangles. If I switch them back to squares, it seems that the error bars fit pretty well -- that is, there isn't a gap between the bottom of the symbol and the lower, vertical stem any more.

With the triangles as the symbol type (which the figure really needs to stay consistent with the rest of the paper it'll be part of), I've tried the "Through Symbol" option in the Error Bar tab of the Plot Details dialog. That works, but it, too, looks pretty lousy, with a line running over each (white-filled) data point. In looking back at some possibly related problems treated in the forum, I messed with the Speed Mode settings of the Size/Speed tab, but no joy there. The line thickness doesn't do anything (I know, but I was just trying everything I could think of), but making the symbols bigger was interesting: the gap between the bottom of the symbol to the start of the lower vertical stem pretty much stays constant regardless of the symbol size. It's as if there were a "no draw" zone along the bottom of the symbol, if that makes any sense. As bigger symbols (i.e., triangles) are drawn, the stem seems to get pushed away and shortened, until only the horizontal, lower error bar is left stemless. When I try point-down triangles, the "excluded zone" is still on the base side of the triangle, which is now, of course, on the top side of the symbol, cutting off the top vertical stem. Gack.

Is there any way to get the error bars to look right after changing the symbols? Sure would be nice...

Thanks for your time!!

Mark
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Craters Posted - 12/15/2005 : 10:19:29 PM
Easwar --

To parapharase the legendary Dr. "Bones" McCoy: "I'm beginning to think that you guys can cure a rainy day!" That worked like a charm -- fantastic! Thanks a gazillion!

Mark
easwar Posted - 12/15/2005 : 4:27:47 PM
Hi Mark,

You can try the following workaround:

1> plot the graph as you currently do
2> go to plot details, then go to Error bar tab and check the "Thru Symbol" check box - yes, this does make the error bar line show thru the symbol, but then:
3> Close Plot Details, and then ALT-double-click on the layer icon to bring up the Layer dialog
4> This dialog will on the right side list the order in which things are plotted. So if your y data is in data1_e and error is in data1_f, then these will be listed as _e before _f. Simply change the order by using the up/down buttons on top so that error bar dataset appears just before the y dataset

This should then "fix" the plotting problem you see.

Easwar
OriginLab
[/quote]

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000